Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Striping paint the razor method

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 12:58 PM
BobG74
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Striping paint the razor method

I'm prepping a 74 t Top for paint, got roll paper 80/150, 16" file board, sanding blocks and wrapped sand paper around swim pool noodles for curves. I did one half of a t-top in say 2 hrs and thought not bad, After completing say 33% the car the dust, hard work and aspect of not completing the task by end of summer was resulting in "Hand sanding insanity".. ( a big part of the sanding insanity is the combination of tasks involved, fixing door gaps, bumper fitting, removing doors, chrome grills, lights u get the picture..) Like every other project on a 41 year old car the scope creeps with the passage of time! In a weak moment I decided to try the razor blade method seen on utube, I was very reluctant thinking that i would do more damage than good. I started on the top of front pass fender (not the best place to practice on but i was delusional from hours of hand sanding) the clear coat was in very bad shape there. The clear coat & base coat jumped off the car! I dug in a few times with the razor blade but only into the primer which stayed on the car. I got better at it as I went. I then sanded the remaining primer and most if not all of the digs are gone (one deep one is still visible but small price to pay.

After i reflected on the razor technique (slept on it) I was still encouraged it might be the answer, Moved car outside nice day had breakfast (maybe 30 minutes) went out with razor in hand, the paint softened by the 80/85F day came off in razor blade width ribbons, I couldn't believe how easy it was, i stripped the hood, t-top half, rear deck and pass door and hood surround in ~ 8 hours! Still have plenty of sanding to do but primer is much easier than cutting thru clear/base coats.
I'm drinking the razor blade Kool-Aid. I think (for me) this is the best method it easy to cut into the SMC panels when sanding as fatigue sets in. BTW I took the corners of the razor blades by swiping them on the garage floor. The blades need to be replaced say every 10 minutes a new blade cuts hot paint "like butter".

After sitting in sun, ribbons of paint came off. Razor method didnt work on headlights without sun heating.

I couldnt believe the result after sitting outside. measured surface temps @ ~ 135F (HF Lazer)

I was saving the hood, thought I would remove and place on stands to make sanding easier. the razor made short work of initial paint removal.

Door stripped with razor, how bout that door gap....

Razor removal in garage room temp paint say 70f Paint chips off in small pieces see pile.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:28 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

With a heat gun you will find you don't need the blade . At the right temp paint will peel off in largemstrips.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:31 PM
BobG74
Advanced

Originally Posted by porchdog
With a heat gun you will find you don't need the blade . At the right temp paint will peel off in largemstrips.
I measured the car surface temp today (on the brown paint) sitting outside it was 160F as measured by HF Infra-red hand held thermometer. The paint came off in blade width strips. I wonder what temp u get to with the heat gun?

I was passing thru Kingman Az a while back and it was 110 F I wonder if my paint was ready to peel as I drove thru the desert.... Maybe Kingman can become the vette strip capital.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:37 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

****PROFESSIONAL ADVICE******
This is for anyone who might need to know.

I prefer using this type of razor blade tool.

http://www.tessco.com/products/displ...o.do?sku=72612

I have stripped so many Corvettes with mine I could not live without it. The main thing is more/better control and less hand fatigue.

Also...every new blade you install you need to burnish....by running it backwards on your pant leg a few times. Obviously...NOT liable if you cut yourself because you can not read and comprehend instructions. IF you can't comprehend this...ask. I will type it another way so you understand.

DUB
Old 07-12-2015, 06:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by BobG74
I wonder what temp u get to with the heat gun?
I can easy get the fiberglass/SMC smoking.
As I have written and suggested to those who ask. IF in doubt...TEST IT. Knowing that the sun is getting the body to 160F and the paint is coming off...I would not bother with a heat gun. The point is to get it off and NOT so much on trying to find the temp where you are on the edge of disaster.

DUB
Old 07-12-2015, 07:11 PM
BobG74
Advanced

Originally Posted by DUB
I can easy get the fiberglass/SMC smoking.
As I have written and suggested to those who ask. IF in doubt...TEST IT. Knowing that the sun is getting the body to 160F and the paint is coming off...I would not bother with a heat gun. The point is to get it off and NOT so much on trying to find the temp where you are on the edge of disaster.

DUB
I just about got this under control and will use natural heat to complete the car. So glad I tried the blade saved me a lot of effort and time. One thing I came away with is how hot a cars paint gets just sitting outside mine went close to double outside temp . Today was ~85 F and car with dark paint measured 160 F.
Never thought about how much the paint must endure...

Get notified of new replies

To Striping paint the razor method

Quick Reply: Striping paint the razor method