Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Pine needle left a crevice in hood - Lacquer

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 07:18 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 337 Posts

Default Pine needle left a crevice in hood - Lacquer

This hood on the '67 I have here had hundreds of detail spray spots by someone that wouldn't come out with buffing. Fingernail actually would hang up on them, so I had to wet sand the whole thing, 1500, 2000, then it all came out fine using my 3M compound and machine pad.

One other problem is that a small pine needle about 3" long landed on the hood and it sat there a few days after being in the sun before the owner put the car back in the garage. He went to dust it off later and he couldn't believe what it did. A fingernail easily catches it. Very deep. The pitch must have eaten the lacquer. pics below. I used a loop on the detail shots. It's almost like it shrank the paint and left primer exposed......microscopically.

I was careful wetsanding there but as you can see it's down deep. I'm thinking of filling with a micro detail brush I have with some black lacquer, let it cure and wetsand lightly and re buff.

Think this'll work, or am I going to have to do a lacquer blend? Or both, meaning my fill-in idea first then a blend? I don't want to make matters worse.

Thanks,
Rich

pics....

Last edited by rich5962; 10-24-2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:23 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

that is a crack i believe .
Old 10-24-2015, 12:11 PM
rich5962
Safety Car

It certainly looks like a scratch, but the edges were actually raised and when I started sanding it took a bit to get it down to the surrounding surface.

I think the paint shrunk from the pine pitch and when he removed the needle it pulled the paint off.

It looks more like a scratch now after wetsanding and buffing as the edges are flat.

I didn't postthe "before" pics as they didn't come out too crisp, but here they are.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Try your touch-up idea first. If that does not work then it will need to be prepped and blended out. If you saw that there was a pine needle there....then it being a crack is not the issue...but it does look like a crack.

How fresh is this paint????

DUB
Old 10-24-2015, 06:09 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

in one pic it looks like a shrinkage crack . same line both sides .
Old 10-25-2015, 06:23 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Thanks guys....

Definitely a pine needle, and definitely looks like a crack but it isn't. Allegedly it was painted 20 years ago when the car was partially restored.

I think you're right about shrinkage. I think the pitch ate through the color and when the owner picked off the pine needle, it probably lifted the paint there. That gray color is primer.

Today I'll try the touch up idea. My gut feel it'll still show but hopefully not as obvious as now.

BTW, the entire rear deck had issues too from a fuel spill due to a forgotten gas cap after filling. Large spotted trails and blotched areas. That came out fine with wetsand and buff. I was prepared to repaint if needed but we salvaged it. Thankfully there was a lot of lacquer done on this 20 year old paint job.

Get notified of new replies

To Pine needle left a crevice in hood - Lacquer

Quick Reply: Pine needle left a crevice in hood - Lacquer