Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Opinions Please; Does This ’69 Front Clip Have To Come Off?

Old 01-30-2016, 10:54 AM
CrossedUp
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 155 Posts
Default Opinions Please; Does This ’69 Front Clip Have To Come Off?

I inherited a ’69, 427/435 coupe project car that belonged to a friend who passed away recently. It had an ETM Enterprises front clip and driver’s side door jamb installed ~15 years ago and the car has been sitting ever since. I appears to me that the clip was installed incorrectly and I’m trying to evaluate whether it has to be removed and refitted.

Here's what I've observed so far:

- Left inner fender skirt is bonded in the front at the radiator support and only “tacked’ in place in the rear near the gills. It is not bonded to hood surround.
- Right Inner fender skirt is bonded in the front at the radiator support but nowhere else.
- Distance from rear hinge bolt center line to inside of hood surround at cowl is 42-1/2". The same on both sides.
- Driver’s Door Gaps. Front: 1/16”, Rear: 0 - 1/16”
- Passenger Door Gaps. Front 1/8”, Rear: 1/16”
- Wiper Grill to Wiper Door and Hood Gaps: 1/16” - 1/8”
- Fan Blade Tips to Shroud Gaps. 1/2” @ 12:00, 1” @ 6:00, 1/2” @ 3:00, 1” @ 9:00
- Crack at left headlight opening.
- Crack in top of left fender at windshield
- Inconsistent wiper door to windshield gap, touches glass at center with ~1/2” gap at outer ends.
- Lower valence support bracket holes misaligned.
- Clips missing in tops of fenders for attaching SS molding at windshield pillar.

I was hoping that all that was needed to complete the clip installation was to finish bonding the inner fenders but it’s looking like it may be more involved than that.
Attached Images      
Old 01-30-2016, 06:05 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by CrossedUp
Here's what I've observed so far:

- Left inner fender skirt is bonded in the front at the radiator support and only “tacked’ in place in the rear near the gills. It is not bonded to hood surround.
- Right Inner fender skirt is bonded in the front at the radiator support but nowhere else.
These can be separated and set in another position ONCE you get the hood to fit and have proper gaps the wiper grille and wiper door.

- Distance from rear hinge bolt center line to inside of hood surround at cowl is 42-1/2". The same on both sides.
I do not get caught up in this measurement BECAUSE I am more worried about getting the hood to fit with good gasps. BUT...if I were putting a front clip on or another top hood surround. I would have measured this area and use it as a gauge but not as a definite measurement...due to the hood hinges ahve movement and adjustment capabilities in them.
- Driver’s Door Gaps. Front: 1/16”, Rear: 0 - 1/16”
- Passenger Door Gaps. Front 1/8”, Rear: 1/16”
- Wiper Grill to Wiper Door and Hood Gaps: 1/16” - 1/8”
Do not worry about these...In the condition the car is in right now ...all door gaps can be changed if needed.

- Fan Blade Tips to Shroud Gaps. 1/2” @ 12:00, 1” @ 6:00, 1/2” @ 3:00, 1” @ 9:00
I personally would not worry about this and loose any sleep. You have decent space so the fan will not hit the shroud. Not knowing if it is a steel shroud or the composite plastic. Minor adjustments can be made...but once again. I never heard of someone commenting that the fan was not centered.
[QUOTE=CrossedUp;1591437833]- Crack at left headlight opening.[QUOTE]

That is left to be determined. it looks like a crack in the photo...but sometimes they are not. And from what I can see...they used POP RIVETS in the front of the top hood surround instead of the correct solid aluminum rivets. SO...if it is ACTUALLY a crack...removing the steel reinforcement and repairing the 'crack' will be required.
[QUOTE=CrossedUp;1591437833]- Crack in top of left fender at windshield[QUOTE]

Still to be determined if it is a crack or a blemish.

[QUOTE=CrossedUp;1591437833]- Inconsistent wiper door to windshield gap, touches glass at center with ~1/2” gap at outer ends.[QUOTE]

Need to see the gaps at was side. I am having a hard time believing that the gap at the end of the top hood surround and the wiper door is a 1/2" on each side....UNLESS they cut the section of fiberglass top hood surround that bond to the top edge of the cowl plenum.

- Lower valence support bracket holes misaligned.
Need top see this...may not be that big of an issue to repair.
- Clips missing in tops of fenders for attaching SS molding at windshield pillar.
These can be installed...but CARE will need to be taken when doing so.

DUB
Old 01-31-2016, 10:34 AM
CrossedUp
Burning Brakes

Received 451 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
ONCE you get the hood to fit and have proper gaps the wiper grille and wiper door.DUB
That's the worst thing about this DUB. With the hood pushed as far forward as the hinge bolts allow, the hood-to-wiper door-to-wiper grill, gaps are way too small.

Also, the wiper door-to-fender gaps are so small that you have to force the door and fender moldings into place.

Thanks for your help,
-Doug
Attached Images    
Old 01-31-2016, 06:18 PM
DUB
Race Director

OK...THANKS for these photos.....especially the second and third ones.

Honestly....the top hod surround where the wiper door fits in...should have been spread out further. A common mistake from someone who has NOT been BIT by this before. I have.....and I KNOW what I need to do when I am setting up a front clip or replacing the top hood surround.

it IS possible to get the front body to go a little more forward...so you can increase your gaps in the hood and wiper grille. BUT...I am curious IF when the hod is in place like you have right now...is the hood flush with the top hood surround along each side????

I know I can type and type and type things out for you....BUT...I prefer to talk. SO...if you are interested...PM me and I will give you my shop phone number and we can talk. AS much as I HATE to write this.....there is a HIGH probability that the top hood surround MAY need to be removed and then re-bonded so your gaps for the wiper door to the top hood surround will NOT interfere. I KNOW that I could cut the top hood surround and move that edge inwards...so the wiper door would not interfere..and that would save a lot of time...BUT...I would do that AFTER I have checked into and see if I could get the front nose of the clip to extend outwards and lay down a little bit more....thus increasing in the gaps. It is kinda like the clip is 'bunching up'.

DUB
Old 03-13-2017, 08:12 PM
BDoc
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For my own learning - Why would someone in this situation not simply sand the hood down slightly to fit? Were the original hoods so perfectly uniform that it would be a "mod," and noticeable?
Old 03-14-2017, 05:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by BDoc
For my own learning - Why would someone in this situation not simply sand the hood down slightly to fit? Were the original hoods so perfectly uniform that it would be a "mod," and noticeable?
If you were to look a the underside of a hood like the one in this thread..and even later models also. You would be able to satisfy your own curiosity.

Take a look and see. If you still can not see why sanding the hood back is a bad idea (depending on how much)...then I will respond to you in on why it is not a good idea.

DUB.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions Please; Does This ’69 Front Clip Have To Come Off?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinions Please; Does This ’69 Front Clip Have To Come Off?