Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Any HELP on why my C6 hood is fading like this..and how to prevent before repainting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 11:10 AM
BrknWndC6
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Any HELP on why my C6 hood is fading like this..and how to prevent before repainting?

I'm a C6 owner and am having problems finding out why my hood is fading the way it is. Can anyone give me insight. I even went to the dealership paint and bodyshop and they said it just happens and could be a chemical reaction. I am now reaching out to all you awesome Corvette owners to see if any of you can give me help before I have it painted again and it fades again. Please take a look at my pictures for indepth of what I'm speaking about. Thank you all for any feedback.

My hood is fading in lines where the hood attaches to the hood frame. Can anyone tell me why before I have it repainted and will it fade again???

Center of the hood fading in a rectangle. I keep it covered in storage.

Fading on the hood edges
Old 04-01-2016, 06:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

How well ventilated or temperature controlled is the place you store it??? If it gets hot as all get out where you live...I would be suspect of that....if the storage place is also hot as heck.....all the time.

If that is NOT the case....due to being climate controlled storage....I can buy into the chemical reaction and possibly the adhesive used to bond the hood is leaching or cause the SMC to act different due to it is not exposed as the other areas that are. That is my opinion and I am NOT a chemist.

I would see if any other Corvettes your color in your area are doing the same thing. If other Corvettes are doing the same thing and they leave their Corvette out side....then LOGIC would then let us know that it has nothing to do with how it is being stored/covered...ESPECIALLY if the car that has the same problem is NOT being covered.......and if not...then LOGIC would then come into play and it is either how it is being stored or covered is causing this problem.

I do know this....IF I painted it for you....I would NOT want you to cover it. I want the paint and car to breathe and let the paint cure....and I do not care if it is in a climate controlled storage place or not. And in time...6 months to a year later...depending on how much it has been exposed to the outside to allow it to cure faster....it would be all up to you if you wanted to cover it or not....and if it failed again after you started to cover it again...I WOULD NOT warranty the paint.

DUB
Old 04-08-2016, 11:35 AM
BrknWndC6
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
How well ventilated or temperature controlled is the place you store it??? If it gets hot as all get out where you live...I would be suspect of that....if the storage place is also hot as heck.....all the time.

If that is NOT the case....due to being climate controlled storage....I can buy into the chemical reaction and possibly the adhesive used to bond the hood is leaching or cause the SMC to act different due to it is not exposed as the other areas that are. That is my opinion and I am NOT a chemist.

I would see if any other Corvettes your color in your area are doing the same thing. If other Corvettes are doing the same thing and they leave their Corvette out side....then LOGIC would then let us know that it has nothing to do with how it is being stored/covered...ESPECIALLY if the car that has the same problem is NOT being covered.......and if not...then LOGIC would then come into play and it is either how it is being stored or covered is causing this problem.

I do know this....IF I painted it for you....I would NOT want you to cover it. I want the paint and car to breathe and let the paint cure....and I do not care if it is in a climate controlled storage place or not. And in time...6 months to a year later...depending on how much it has been exposed to the outside to allow it to cure faster....it would be all up to you if you wanted to cover it or not....and if it failed again after you started to cover it again...I WOULD NOT warranty the paint.

DUB
Good day DUB,

I have told my Corvette Bodyworks painter exactly what you replied. You are on the same page as he is with it all including not being able to warranty the paint IF we DON'T fix the bond chemical issue first before repainting my hood.

Is there anyway you would suggest or know of how to find out what to do to have this NOT happen again? ei, rebonding with different bond chemical or something Thank you for your input
Old 04-08-2016, 05:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I did not write that I would not warranty it IF the adhesive issue was not replaced...I wrote: And in time...6 months to a year later...depending on how much it has been exposed to the outside to allow it to cure faster....it would be all up to you if you wanted to cover it or not....and if it failed again after you started to cover it again...I WOULD NOT warranty the paint.

I did not get an answer to my question in my last post.

Also...did you check and see if any other red Corvettes in your area are doing the same thing...because it can everything to do with how it is being stored....and NOTHING to do with the adhesive. So knowing what you are doing in regards to the storage methods and temps would help.

And before I would waste my time separating this hood and re-bonding it again...buy a new hood...or a good used red hood and paint it.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Any HELP on why my C6 hood is fading like this..and how to prevent before repainting?

Quick Reply: Any HELP on why my C6 hood is fading like this..and how to prevent before repainting?