Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Need a little help

Old 04-27-2016, 01:36 AM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Default Need a little help

I had to do a little sanding on my 69. Just a small place about 6 to 8 inches in diameter. I finished by wet sanding with 2000 grit. I don't know where to go from here. The paint isn't great on the car but it isn't awful either. By the way it is black. I would just like to get rid of the the dullness that the sanding caused.
Thanks!
Old 04-27-2016, 09:54 AM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

We need some more info if possible. Is this a repaint and is it a base coat/clear coat? If it is BC/CC, I hope you didn't go through the clear. You will need some polishes in decreasing abrasiveness. Chemical Guys has a 4 step polish system that Porchdog recommended and it has worked well for me. I just checked the website and the kit is on sale for $22.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:27 AM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
We need some more info if possible. Is this a repaint and is it a base coat/clear coat? If it is BC/CC, I hope you didn't go through the clear. You will need some polishes in decreasing abrasiveness. Chemical Guys has a 4 step polish system that Porchdog recommended and it has worked well for me. I just checked the website and the kit is on sale for $22.
It is a repaint and it appears to be old lacquer paint. Do you have a definitive way to tell?

Last edited by ZAKsPop; 04-27-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:49 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

When you sanded the area, was there no color to what was coming off or black? No color would indicate a clear coat and black would indicate a single stage lacquer. If it is single stage lacquer, polish away but be careful not to burn through the paint. You may want to consider using a 2500 then 3000 paper before using the polishing materials.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:49 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAKsPop
It is a repaint and it appears to be old lacquer paint. Do you have a definitive way to tell?
YES...lacquer thinner will remove the paint from a small spot that is hidden. SO if it is a single stage black lacquer paint job....a little lacquer thinner on a towel and rub a spot and if it comes off black...then the job is lacquer.

If you car is clearcoated....then it is a bit more involved and I would not worry about it at this time.

Have you ever successfully buffed /polished a car with a buffer/polisher???? I would have to guess not due to if you are at the 2000 grit sanding stage ...then buffing it with a buffer is a snap and the shine will come back quickly and there is no need to go higher in grits. Going to the higher grit sand papers is fine if you are needed to do it by hand and want to save hand buffing/polishing time.

Need to know what equipment you have to do this.

DUB
Old 04-28-2016, 11:35 AM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Originally Posted by DUB
YES...lacquer thinner will remove the paint from a small spot that is hidden. SO if it is a single stage black lacquer paint job....a little lacquer thinner on a towel and rub a spot and if it comes off black...then the job is lacquer.

If you car is clearcoated....then it is a bit more involved and I would not worry about it at this time.

Have you ever successfully buffed /polished a car with a buffer/polisher???? I would have to guess not due to if you are at the 2000 grit sanding stage ...then buffing it with a buffer is a snap and the shine will come back quickly and there is no need to go higher in grits. Going to the higher grit sand papers is fine if you are needed to do it by hand and want to save hand buffing/polishing time.

Need to know what equipment you have to do this.

DUB
Thanks DUB.

I really don't have anything. I am willing to purchase a buffer and accessories. I'm sure I will need one in the future. What do I need to purchase besides the buffer? What pads and polishes etc.? Dave Tracy suggested the $22 kit at Chemical Brothers. It looks like a sample kit. But I think I might want to get more so I can polish and wax the whole car. At least make it as nice as i can without getting it painted.

Last edited by ZAKsPop; 04-28-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:46 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAKsPop
Thanks DUB.

I really don't have anything. I am willing to purchase a buffer and accessories. I'm sure I will need one in the future. What do I need to purchase besides the buffer? What pads and polishes etc.? Dave Tracy suggested the $22 kit at Chemical Brothers. It looks like a sample kit. But I think I might want to get more so I can polish and wax the whole car. At least make it as nice as i can without getting it painted.
I am NOT saying that you can not do this...but not having any 'hands-on' time with a buffer can be dangerous. If you choose to buy what Dave recommended ..you can do that. I myself use some other products and I do not know if the polishes I use are available in your area. I use 3M 5973 compound. By itself it is more expensive than the kit that Dave mentioned...and we have not even got to the polishes. So this kit may be your way to go.

I have a variable speed Makita buffer that has velcro pad..and I use a wool pad that is also velcro backed..and then the foam pad for my fine polishing....

http://makitatools.com/en-us/Modules...spx?Name=9227C

and then I use a HEAVY orbital buffer....with the good terry cloth pads if and when needed.
http://www.gem-industries.com/orbital.php

BEFORE you jump in on your car...I would attempt to familiarize myself with the equipment and use it so you are comfortable with it. There are NUMEROUS 'trick's when using a circular buffer....and one of them is that even if you use the buffer at the slowest speed...it is still faster than doing it by hand and the chances that you heat up the paint to much and burn it is lessened...but you also have to take into account how much compound you applied and how hard you are pressing when buffing and your travel speed...and remembering HOW the buffer is spinning so you do not burn paint off of edges.

DUB
Old 04-28-2016, 07:16 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

DUB's advice is of course "right on" The bottles are 4 oz each. According to Porchdog, this kit will do an entire car. I have used the 3M stuff and it is good too. Since you were initially dealing with a small area, I did not put my toes into the buffer purchase. good luck with your project but be careful with the machine-you can buff too much!
Old 04-29-2016, 12:07 PM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

I wonder if I can pay someone to do it for me. It is just a small area. I think I'll call around.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:29 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

That works too. Likely less $ than buying all the stuff now.

Get notified of new replies

To Need a little help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need a little help