Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Painting C-3 question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 10:10 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 356 Likes on 247 Posts

Default Painting C-3 question

My 76 is headed to paint.FINALLY!!What is the best way to paint the headlights?Not taking buckets out. Up or down?Ive heard they were painted down from the factory.? My concern is the hinge part that's exposed when open but hidden when closed.. Thanks!

Last edited by gjohnson; 05-05-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

SO MUCH of it depends on how well PREPPED the edge of the top hood surround is where the headlight door fits. IF this area was NOT addressed well when priming, etc...then...it's hard to tell you what to do. I am guessing that it is all GOOD.

If the buckets are being left in...Then I would drop them and trim that area out on the headlight door opening....then raise the headlight door back to FLUSH and paint the car.

BUT this depends on the edge of the headlight DOOR itself. Because if you paint the car with the headlight doors down....then you are NOT getting paint on the edges of the door itself and under the edge so when you install the headlight bezel..you see where paint was NOT applied.

So..knowing that you are not taking the headlight door out...no need in me writing out what I do.

AND..as for that small section that is seen when the headlight door are up and complete the look when the bezel is installed....either paint that obviously when the headlight door is OUT...or I mask off the car AFTER it has been painted an air brush that area in afterwards.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
TWINRAY (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 11:02 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
SO MUCH of it depends on how well PREPPED the edge of the top hood surround is where the headlight door fits. IF this area was NOT addressed well when priming, etc...then...it's hard to tell you what to do. I am guessing that it is all GOOD.

If the buckets are being left in...Then I would drop them and trim that area out on the headlight door opening....then raise the headlight door back to FLUSH and paint the car.

BUT this depends on the edge of the headlight DOOR itself. Because if you paint the car with the headlight doors down....then you are NOT getting paint on the edges of the door itself and under the edge so when you install the headlight bezel..you see where paint was NOT applied.

So..knowing that you are not taking the headlight door out...no need in me writing out what I do.

AND..as for that small section that is seen when the headlight door are up and complete the look when the bezel is installed....either paint that obviously when the headlight door is OUT...or I mask off the car AFTER it has been painted an air brush that area in afterwards.

DUB
^ Adding that to my "remember list" for this years project, thanks
Old 05-16-2016, 05:24 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YEP...it is 'kinda funny' on how primer and paint will not stick ( for long) to surfaces that are not PREPPED.

Even though I did not write it in this thread....I do do somethings differently when the headlight doors are out of the car...just in case anyone may be at that point and 'wonder' what they could do when they are out and getting ready to go back in.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Painting C-3 question

Quick Reply: Painting C-3 question