Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

help with bonding adhesive

Old 05-06-2016, 04:00 PM
FLIP77
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default help with bonding adhesive

<br >Was hoping someone could give me advice on what to use to to rebond part of my front driverside fender where it has came loose.its seperated from the lower 1/3 part of fender and inner fender needs rebonded also. Still has a solid bond from about 8 inches below seam and up, do i need an smc compatible adhesive for the inner fender to bond to outer. Body shop guy told me the smc adhesive will work with polyester and fiberglass and recommended 3m 8219 but its not a structural adhesive. Will that product work well for bonding the inner fenderwell? Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Gary D. Jaynes (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 06:59 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I use EVERCOAT 994. It look like this fender is on a 1980 to 1982. In this area I do not use the two part epoxy cartridge adhesives like I use on later year models. That is my preference and you can use what you want.

SO MUCH of this will depend on the ability of you being able to PREP the surfaces so the adhesive will adhere.

You can contact 3M, LORD FUSOR, SEM, PLIOGRIP, etc and see what they might recommend and refer then to your post so what can see what is going on (if needed).

DUB
Old 05-06-2016, 07:15 PM
FLIP77
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I use EVERCOAT 994. It look like this fender is on a 1980 to 1982. In this area I do not use the two part epoxy cartridge adhesives like I use on later year models. That is my preference and you can use what you want.

SO MUCH of this will depend on the ability of you being able to PREP the surfaces so the adhesive will adhere.

You can contact 3M, LORD FUSOR, SEM, PLIOGRIP, etc and see what they might recommend and refer then to your post so what can see what is going on (if needed).

DUB
Thanks, sorry yes its an 81 and was not really wanting to buy a gun and 2 part system if not needed . Will the 994 work well on inner fender? Its completely loose.

Last edited by FLIP77; 05-06-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by FLIP77
Thanks, sorry yes its an 81 and was not really wanting to buy a gun and 2 part system if not needed . Will the 994 work well on inner fender? Its completely loose.
Did you read the first sentence of what I wrote in my first post....post #2? I can not write it any clearer than that.

AS for the application guns...and some companies area reps will do a loan on it so you will buy the product knowing it is a 'one time' application.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To help with bonding adhesive

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: help with bonding adhesive