Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

How should I fix this? (C5 Door Edge Chip)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 11:44 PM
Drunkonunleaded
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default How should I fix this? (C5 Door Edge Chip)

Don't want to get into how this happened (thanks wind)!

Was debating as to whether I can dab the gelcoat with primer and hit with a spot of touch-up paint and 2000 grit wetsand, then apply a good synthetic wax over to protect.

I'm going to have my body guy take a look at it and see what he thinks as well.

At the end of the day, I drive the **** out of the car. Battle scars are inevitable. I just want to protect the paint and prevent further chips. If it is not visible from a few feet away, that works for me. I'm sure further track days aren't going to be kind to the thing.

I don't really want to re-shoot the whole door at this point.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You thoughts on doing a brush touch up repair sounds about right. DO NOT use gelcoat. Instead you can use a good catalyzed primer and do any filling and then add you color and clear.

With is being right on the edge...you can get lucky and have it turn out quite well.

if your car came into my shop I would not want to blend out the color and clear the door ONLY to have it go back out on the track and get screwed up again. I would if you were paying me to do so....but after a few times of paying to have it blended out and cleared....you might stop and do a touch -up and live with it until you possible take the car off the track.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Drunkonunleaded (06-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 01:17 AM
Drunkonunleaded
Instructor

Thanks! Any recommendation in regards to primer? Is it something I should be able to pick up in small amounts from Painter's Supply or similar?

If it looks presentable from 5 feet, I'd be more than happy. Figured that masking, filling with primer, and wet sanding is more important than anything else. The hood/lights/front bumper is already rock chipped to ****. My plans were to clay the car after and have a minor paint correction done on it.

Despite the road rash, I still want it to look as presentable as possible. At the end of the day, I bought the car to drive it. 30k miles in the past two years can attest to that. In a few years, I'll have the car re-shot and will chip it all over again.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

I do not know where you basically live due to your Public Profile is not basically filled out giving me an idea where you live...so all I can recommend is going to a place where ever you live and see if they have the correct touch-up paint and get it and some of the clear.

AS for a primer and these spots being so small...you could actually get some aerosol lacquer primer and spray some in a cup and carefully brush a THIN layer on. Then apply the color and let it dry and then the clear. Depending on how many coats it may take to get the color to build up..and then the clear can go on it...be sanded and buffed by hand.

So much if this depends on how much of an edge you feel where it has been chipped.

DUB
Old 06-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Drunkonunleaded
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
I do not know where you basically live due to your Public Profile is not basically filled out giving me an idea where you live...so all I can recommend is going to a place where ever you live and see if they have the correct touch-up paint and get it and some of the clear.

AS for a primer and these spots being so small...you could actually get some aerosol lacquer primer and spray some in a cup and carefully brush a THIN layer on. Then apply the color and let it dry and then the clear. Depending on how many coats it may take to get the color to build up..and then the clear can go on it...be sanded and buffed by hand.

So much if this depends on how much of an edge you feel where it has been chipped.

DUB
Sorry about that, I am in the Detroit area. www.painters-supply.com/ is the local supply house. I've bought from them in the past, and I'm sure their guy can point me in the right direction. Wasn't sure if there was a brand you recommend over another in regards to dealing with paint on SMC.

Doing it by hand sounds like the way to go. I've always been a bit leery about edge work with the orbital. Thanks a ton!
Old 06-03-2016, 06:54 PM
DUB
Race Director

You are lucky having it be local...I would go there.

When it comes to small touch ups....I really do not have a 'favorite' name brand of paint.

Heck..I have even applied clear fingernail polish on some of the touch-ups I have done and buffed them out and they are still fine today.

PRACTICE and TEST what you plan on using to make sure you figure out any 'tricks' you may need to use so when you apply the paint.... it is not really dark....becasue it can be darker than if it is sprayed and atomized.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 06-03-2016 at 06:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Drunkonunleaded (06-06-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To How should I fix this? (C5 Door Edge Chip)

Quick Reply: How should I fix this? (C5 Door Edge Chip)