When do I quit sanding primer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 01:57 PM
PaceCarTN
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

Default When do I quit sanding primer?

I知 not painting my Vette, but I know I can get help here anyway. I知 restoring a Kawasaki KZ900 I got back that I owned many years ago. Anyway, I have a paint question.

I am painting the steel tank, plastic side covers and plastic tail. Right now I知 applying the primer (House of Kolor, KD 3001 black DTS primer)

I shot three coats of primer, but the tank had a small spot where the outline of bondo I used still showed through. In trying to blend it I sanded through the primer. (320 grit). So I reshot another three coats.
In trying to sand it, if I use a maroon scotch-brite pad it leaves a finish that looks and feels smooth. You can see some cross hatching, but it feels as smooth as glass. But if I hit that with 500 grit sandpaper it looks like orange peel showing through.

Should I shoot the black base coat over the scotch-brite surface or do I do I need to use the 500 grit sandpaper?

First pic shows the scotch bite surface
Second pics shows the orange peel looking surface after going over that with 500 grit.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:01 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

It depends on the level of perfection you are trying to achieve. The orange peel you are seeing with the 500 grit is showing you what is there. I would use a guide coat(contrasting color of paint misted on the piece) and use 4-500 grit and sand it until the guide coat is gone.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:33 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
It depends on the level of perfection you are trying to achieve. The orange peel you are seeing with the 500 grit is showing you what is there. I would use a guide coat(contrasting color of paint misted on the piece) and use 4-500 grit and sand it until the guide coat is gone.
100%

It seems you have not sanded the primer enough.

And...when applying primer...so much of it depends on HOW you apply the primer. Some people go really fast and not allow for any build of the primer on the panel.

So ONE coat in how I shoot primer MAY equal three coats from you...IF you shoot the primer fast and are applying really thin coats.

NOT BEING PICKY..I am just 'saying' that HOW the primer is applied CAN make a difference in how the orange peel is and IF it is easy to sand through and get back down to bare steel....and also the choice of reducer and how the gun is adjusted....and if the gun is capable to shoot the product properly depending on its viscosity when mixed....and so on with other variables.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To When do I quit sanding primer?

Quick Reply: When do I quit sanding primer?