Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

It is worth buying a salvage corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 05:42 AM
PeterJ1238
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It is worth buying a salvage corvette?

Hey here, I am pretty new to this, so bear with me. (I hope I'm putting this in the right place :P). I am looking at getting a salvage, to repair, after hearing that this is a good way to save money by some old friends that did this years ago. I know of the issues with high insurance costs etc. but considering the vehicles are so cheap, should still save money in the medium term. What do you think about taking on a project like this? Here is the one that's similar to those I've been looking at.

https://www.autoauctionmall.com/auctions/corvette

Any advice? Would you take a project like this?
Old 07-25-2016, 11:05 AM
Rickman
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Peter,

My thoughts at no charge:

1. Look at it this way- these vehicles are available because even the professionals don't want them! The pros would take on a project like this for one reason: to make $$. Should you take on a project like this, you need to be careful not to put more $$ into the vehicle than it is worth.

2. Are your friends helping with this? What is your skill level and experience? Do you have the time and indoor location to take on such a project? Don't take on more than you can chew. Otherwise you will be selling an incomplete project and really losing your ***!

3. Figure your budget, and narrow down the type of Vette you are seeking. Then go to that respective General Discussion (C5, for example) and ask those guys vs. this general paint/body section.

4. One last point- salvage may mean "flood car". Dunno 'bout you, but I don't want anything to do with a flood car. Reports show that the potential for lifelong electrical probs is very high.

Best wishes for a successful project. Bring it to Carlisle next year & look me up.

Rickman
Old 07-25-2016, 05:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Just to be clear on something. Not that it really matters. These cars are available because often times the insurance companies do not want to take the chance and begin a repair and find out that the costs can exceed the '75% rule' of the vehicles value. So a car worth 10K...the insurance may only go to 7500.00 then total it out ..if it comes close and the car has not been disassembled and inspected...they often times will total it out. So it will be IMPORTANT for you to know what you are looking at. And if NONE of your friends are in the business being body men...this can be tricky. Because someone who KNOWS what they are looking at can tell you right away...or with fairly good confidence to RUN from a specific car....and the reasons WHY.

I have had many Corvettes that got totaled out by the insurance company and it had NOTHING to do with the severity of the structure of the car being destroyed/damaged. It ALL boiled down to COST!

Some insurance companies will sell a car with a 'salvage title' due it it being a theft recovery and the car not being badly damaged at all. I have seen this.

QUESTION 2 from 'Rickman' is a good question. But I am gathering that you want to fix the car and keep it and NOT try to sell it.

QUESTION 3 from 'Rickman' is good also. But you posting it here in the paint and body section is where it needs to be due to so many of then have body damage.but you can do as you wish and see how many replies you get. For the Corvettes on that list that will more than likely have engine damage/issues then the C5 section is where you will want to go for that.

I could take on a project like this...but I do Corvette repair for a living so I am not afraid of anything I have seen so far. I know my limitations and I know what is a hopeless case.

Keep in mind that *SALVAGE TITLE* will always be on the title and you can NEVER get it removed...so if you plan on selling this car when done...you could loose your wallet.

The answers to QUESTION 2 from 'Rickman' will say a lot. Not having a place to work on it with the needed equipment and know how..can be a recipe for disaster. And of you have to out source the repairs...that can eat you up money wise also....depending on what you bought and what it needs. The reason why I wrote that...was years ago I had couple of guys that were doing what you plan on doing and would bring me cars to repair and then they would finish them out after all the hard work was done that they could not handle.

For some odd reason they thought that I would fix the cars that were really messed up for darn near nothing. And I kept telling them that just because the Corvette is CHEAP...does not make it a GOOD DEAL. Especially when you guys do not have a frame machine and the know how to do this. So they would bring me really busted up Corvettes and expect me to preform miracles..and MANY TIMES I would refuse to touch them due to they were only good for PARTS. I WAS NOT implying that is how you would do it...I was just commenting on what I have experienced.

DUB
Old 07-26-2016, 10:13 AM
Rickman
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

DUB,

As usual, great information. Udaman!! Hopefully Peter will respond.

Just curious- are flood cars to be avoided at all costs in your opinion? Sometimes you see cars that only show damage at footwell level. This, of course, means mold damage and possible future corrosion, but perhaps limited damage to electronics?

Thank you in advance,

Rickman
Old 07-26-2016, 05:42 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickman
DUB,

As usual, great information. Udaman!! Hopefully Peter will respond.

Just curious- are flood cars to be avoided at all costs in your opinion? Sometimes you see cars that only show damage at footwell level. This, of course, means mold damage and possible future corrosion, but perhaps limited damage to electronics?

Thank you in advance,

Rickman
YES...for most people it would be EXTREMELY wise to RUN from a car that has been flooded/submersed.

A lot of it depends on what the car is going to be used for also.

I have seen people that bough them...cleaned them REALLY well...let them dry out and worked on them and had very few 'demons' to show up. I do know that it is very LABOR intensive to literally cover every square inch of the car to make sure it is right. Some times it seems people have more time than money ....and will spend countless hours working on a project...and feel that because they are not really pumping a lot of money into it...that they got a DEAL!

I guess it some times can come down to personal perspective. They might work on something for 5 hours and save $50...and to them it was worth it. I know if I did that...due to doing this stuff for a living....I would know I made the WRONG decision.

DUB
Old 08-07-2016, 09:17 PM
Izzy Dizzy
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickman
Peter,

My thoughts at no charge:

1. Look at it this way- these vehicles are available because even the professionals don't want them! The pros would take on a project like this for one reason: to make $$. Should you take on a project like this, you need to be careful not to put more $$ into the vehicle than it is worth.

2. Are your friends helping with this? What is your skill level and experience? Do you have the time and indoor location to take on such a project? Don't take on more than you can chew. Otherwise you will be selling an incomplete project and really losing your ***!

3. Figure your budget, and narrow down the type of Vette you are seeking. Then go to that respective General Discussion (C5, for example) and ask those guys vs. this general paint/body section.

4. One last point- salvage may mean "flood car". Dunno 'bout you, but I don't want anything to do with a flood car. Reports show that the potential for lifelong electrical probs is very high.

Best wishes for a successful project. Bring it to Carlisle next year & look me up.

Rickman
Old 08-08-2016, 09:22 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

Depending on the damage these cars are often times good donor cars for engine transplants into other vehicles. When buying an entire car you get access to having all the wiring harnesses and other small parts that are always a challenge to gather on modern engine swaps into older vehicles. The type of damage is important, flood cars in my view are a complete walk away and I wouldn't even consider.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:46 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Well to begin with its being sold by copart, not the website you linked to. I have seen multiple sites like that where they make it look like they are selling.

So are they a broker? or fake like many other sites that claim to be selling cars that are actually on the insurance auction sites of copart or IAAI you need a licence to buy most vehicles.

Also most people are very uneducated about salvage cars why they get the branding and what to do after fixing the car.

You have a vehicle for sale on copart, they are selling for an insurance company because they have determined it not worth repairing for whatever reason, wrecked, flooded, stolen, burned and so on.

Educate yourself and learn your state laws first concerning salvage title vehicles and how they determine them to be road worthy.

In my area we have some.inspectors that come look at them and eityer its good or its not and then they can get a new green title (states previous salvage title issued) then they can be registered and driven and resold at a huge discount. And many people dont care about driving wrecks.

Just be prepared to pay for the frame to be checked on any hit cars after you buy it to be sure its straight.

Last edited by phrogs; 03-03-2022 at 06:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To It is worth buying a salvage corvette?

Quick Reply: It is worth buying a salvage corvette?