Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

John Lingenfelter's 1973 Corvette drag car

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 05:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Yep. I have a table that I can laminate on but it is covered in a bunch of other stuff...so it was faster for me to put it on my saw horse and use a piece of wood.

DUB
Old 08-20-2017, 08:53 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Picky and weird?? More like master craftsman with a focus on perfection!
The following users liked this post:
DUB (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 10:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dt86
Picky and weird?? More like master craftsman with a focus on perfection!
Thanks for the compliment

DUB,
Old 08-21-2017, 08:45 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

"DUB", looking at all that work that you're doing, to "perfect" this car, I'm sure that John Lingenfelter (may he RIP) is smiling down at you.....

The following 2 users liked this post by leadfoot4:
dmaxx3500 (02-12-2018), DUB (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 06:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
"DUB", looking at all that work that you're doing, to "perfect" this car, I'm sure that John Lingenfelter (may he RIP) is smiling down at you.....

Thanks..I hope that he is....I feel that honoring a legend is something that should be done. And then also making every effort for the new owner to make sure what I am doing is the best I can do.

I know it is a race car and not going to be a 'trailer queen'. And with all of the fan fair and publicity I feel it will get when it makes its debut out on the track...it has got to look RIGHT!

DUB
dmaxx3500 (02-12-2018)
Old 09-25-2017, 01:08 PM
Don 68
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello Dub,
Thank you for all the time you give us out of your busy day. I'm in the process of doing the same thing here on the drivers floorboard and firewall and I got a few questions. Do you taper the panel edges before applying VPA, if so what grit should I use for the taper and what grit should I use to prep the VPA prior to applying the mat? The area I'm repairing is a little worse as I have a completely broken out area. This area was repaired very poorly by a previous owner so poorly I was able to pry all the fiberglass work that was done so I had very little grinding to do. Would you apply a top cloth to this kind of repair for strength? I know to use 1.5 ounce mat but what ounce cloth do you use? I have already opened up the cracks and positioned the broken out section using the welding clamps as you did (what a great idea) but i failed to take a picture of it to include in this post. If you see any thing that comes to your attention that I should be doing please let me know.
Don

Before I removed the old repair.

What I need to repair.

The broken out piece.

The old fiberglass repair I was able to pry off in sections. It did save me a lot of grinding.

[QUOTE=DUB;1592883669]

NOw...using these clapms that ai use when i ahveto butt weld panels together. I use tehm to get teh cracked floor pan area to draw back a to each other and be flush. THIS is why I did not care that I increased the gaps of the cracks. These are going to be simply filled in with an adhesive and hold everything together so when I go an laminate it...the panels are perfectly aligned and RIGID.

This is the view of my clamps from the underside of the floor pan

Now..I use masking tape to go in between my clamps so when I go and apply the adhesive..it will not fall through the cracks. When the adhesive cures..the underside will be very smooth and need very little repair as you will see later. This also WHY i cleaned the underside because I wanted my tape to stick for this process and make sure the adhesive will also bond where needed.[/Q
Old 09-25-2017, 06:14 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Don 68
Hello Dub,
Thank you for all the time you give us out of your busy day. I'm in the process of doing the same thing here on the drivers floorboard and firewall and I got a few questions. Do you taper the panel edges before applying VPA, if so what grit should I use for the taper and what grit should I use to prep the VPA prior to applying the mat?
Yes on the tapering of the edges and the grit is 24 or 36 grit.

Originally Posted by Don 68
The area I'm repairing is a little worse as I have a completely broken out area. This area was repaired very poorly by a previous owner so poorly I was able to pry all the fiberglass work that was done so I had very little grinding to do. Would you apply a top cloth to this kind of repair for strength? I know to use 1.5 ounce mat but what ounce cloth do you use? I have already opened up the cracks and positioned the broken out section using the welding clamps as you did (what a great idea) but i failed to take a picture of it to include in this post. If you see any thing that comes to your attention that I should be doing please let me know.
Don
I would still grind the surface for maximum adhesion....even though the previous fiberglass repair just 'pulled off'.

YES..I would apply a layer of cloth on this much like many of the repairs I have done on this thread....and properly prepping the surface is required IF you do not apply it during a lamination of the 1.5 ounce mat. I honestly do not know how to tell you what 'weight' of cloth to use due to I buy all my materials across the border in South Carolina for fiberglass repairs...the guy I get my stuff from knows what I like and I buy yards of it when I go. I am sure the cloth you buy from an auto body shop store would be like what I use.

Looking at POST#196 shows the weave of the cloth and you can take it from there.

DUB
Old 12-23-2017, 12:57 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

"DUB", it's been a couple of months, since any updates. How's the restoration coming along?
Old 12-23-2017, 05:56 PM
DUB
Race Director

"DUB", it's been a couple of months, since any updates. How's the restoration coming along?
Thanks for the inquiry.

I guess it is going as well as can be expected. I will have numerous photos to post on somethings that I needed to repair prior to finalizing all of the interior fiberglass work.

The brake and fuel lines were not run installed on the car prior to the body being put back on and the roll cage being welded back on.

SO....I guess you can imagine how that is going...and due to it being drag car.....and what the owner wants...that is making at least the fuel supply system being a challenge but still achievable.

DUB
Old 12-24-2017, 08:06 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DUB
Thanks for the inquiry.

I guess it is going as well as can be expected. I will have numerous photos to post on somethings that I needed to repair prior to finalizing all of the interior fiberglass work.

The brake and fuel lines were not run installed on the car prior to the body being put back on and the roll cage being welded back on.

SO....I guess you can imagine how that is going...and due to it being drag car.....and what the owner wants...that is making at least the fuel supply system being a challenge but still achievable.

DUB

I feel your pain. My wife used to own a '79 C-3 (bought new), and in the mid 90s, I replaced the fuel and brake lines. Even without a welded in roll cage, lifting the body up enough, to install those lines, was a challenge.....
Old 12-24-2017, 05:49 PM
DUB
Race Director

Brake lines and fuel lines are always FUN to install on a 1968-1982.

I have just kinda been notified on the size of the fuel lines for this car. THIS is going to be quite FUN...but I always LOVE a challenge. I love to push my limits and actually make myself happy when I am done withe a modification or custom installation. Making myself happy is much harder than pleasing my customers. I am so darn picky.

DUB
Old 12-24-2017, 06:12 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DUB
Brake lines and fuel lines are always FUN to install on a 1968-1982.

I have just kinda been notified on the size of the fuel lines for this car. THIS is going to be quite FUN...but I always LOVE a challenge.
DUB
3/8"...........or LARGER???
Old 12-24-2017, 07:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

3/8"...........or LARGER???
MUCH LARGER... it is kinda blowing my mind but it does kinda make sense due to this car will be lifting the front wheels off the ground and carrying them for a distance... I am sure.

DUB
Old 12-24-2017, 07:21 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DUB
MUCH LARGER... it is kinda blowing my mind but it does kinda make sense due to this car will be lifting the front wheels off the ground and carrying them for a distance... I am sure.

DUB
Old 02-12-2018, 07:03 PM
4 Speed Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 338 Likes on 193 Posts

DUB, I believe I found some photos of this car. See below

c1nicole (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 07:21 PM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Received 247 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Speed Dave
DUB, I believe I found some photos of this car. See below

The compression on the back tires is impressive! Cool pics!
Old 02-13-2018, 05:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

YEP...SUPER DUPER COOL!!!!

I know this car when done WILL be able to lift the front end off the ground and carry it. SO all of the previous fiberglass work that has been done was and is being ripped out and laminated in again to make it stout.

And oddly enough it is going back to the correct green for the 1973...which I think is Elkhart Green.

Right now major fiberglass work it is 'on the back burner' due to other projects and 'stuff' going on with it and other important projects in the mix.

DAG NABBIT..I need the air temps to be higher right now. Working at a 'snails pace' when my brain is at MACH 2...is no fun.

DUB
74_stingray (01-08-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To John Lingenfelter's 1973 Corvette drag car

Old 02-13-2018, 06:36 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Who you foolin? You don't work at a snails pace ever.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:27 PM
DUB
Race Director

Actually...winter time at the shop can almost give me a brain aneurysm. My head is on task every day working at MACH 2 like I wrote...but the darn weather depth charges what my head 'thinks' it can get done. It tests my patience and what I have gong on. Just adds to the already heighten stress I put on myself.

So..if you consider what my head is doing...You are correct...it is not working at a snails pace.

DUB
Old 02-14-2018, 08:15 PM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Received 247 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Actually...winter time at the shop can almost give me a brain aneurysm. My head is on task every day working at MACH 2 like I wrote...but the darn weather depth charges what my head 'thinks' it can get done. It tests my patience and what I have gong on. Just adds to the already heighten stress I put on myself.

So..if you consider what my head is doing...You are correct...it is not working at a snails pace.

DUB

DUB,

Don't make me come to NC and get on your case! First and foremost is your health and well being! You are a true artist and so amazing at what you do! Don't let that type~A personality and perfectionism cost you your health!

Remember, you cannot rush perfection! Don't beat yourself up over things you cannot control (Mother Nature!)

Take care of yourself, and Happy Valentine's Day! Hope you, the Wife and the pup have a great day!

Quick Reply: John Lingenfelter's 1973 Corvette drag car