Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Convertible top making mark in paint

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 09:58 PM
jimkari
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Convertible top making mark in paint

I'm just about done with a body off restoration of my '73 vert. The car was painted by a shop last December. About three weeks ago my son and I installed a new convertible top on the car along with new weatherstripping. As recommended by the top manufacture, I left the top in the up position for about four days. When I raised the back bow to lower the top, I noticed a very fine line in the clear coat that aligned with the sharp rubber edge on the weatherstrip that goes under the back bow. At first I thought it was just a line of oil from the spray I used to help install the weatherstrip and convertible top in the back box. But the line would not come out. I did loosen the top retaining pins to reduce the amount of force the top was placing on the rear deck. I also used some rubbing compound to remove most of the fine line. But I've had the top up for another week or so and the line is back. Any thoughts on how a rubber weatherstrip could be making this type of mark in the clear coat?

I really appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 09-21-2016, 09:47 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

has the car sat in the sun since painted ?
Old 09-21-2016, 01:45 PM
jimkari
Racer

Thanks for the post. I have had it outside for a little while, but really not for any extended period of time. Most of the time its in my garage.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:11 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

setting in the sun allows uv rays to finish cure it. a few hours in the sun is worth a couple of years in the garage .
Old 09-21-2016, 05:54 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

When I paint convertibles...I use my infra red heater and really bake the paint so it is cured. BUT...sometimes that does not matter also...and here is why.

Even though the paint is dry enough to sand and buff...it is not 100% cured...which will take some time...and this depends on how many coats of clear were applied and how the painter applied those coats.

With your car in the garage...you could place a full soda pop can on your rear deck and come back hours later and more than likely would not see an impression....BUT...

If you had your car out in the sun for hours..and allowed that soda can to sit there....I would BET that there would be an impression when you lifted the can.

So...like I tell my customers...either they need to use the protectant strip if they are worried about the paint...or do not latch the rear when driving it for while. Many customers do both...and some after about 6-9 months...get the deck lid wrapped in the clear film.

Even if the paint is totally cured....the movement of the top frame and the body flexing will cause the edge of the weatherstrip to slowly scratch and effect the paint...because there will more than likely be some super fine grit that will get in that area...and that is all it takes. So...due to the weatherstrip being under pressure on the clear..and if the clear gets hot...it can seriously leave a really deep impression. What may also amaze you is if you go and remove your oval chrome latch pin bezels on the deck lid...if they were really tightened really good...I bet that these have now left an imprint in the clear also.

When I am using my infra red heater...I get the paint hot and check a good spot with my thumb nail and see if it leave an imprint...if it does..I come back a few hours later and often times the mark is gone. I try to go through SEVERAL bake cycles.... so-to-speak.... so I know the clear on the deck lid has already gotten hotter than the sun will ever get it.

DUB
Old 09-21-2016, 06:33 PM
jimkari
Racer

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advice. That makes me feel much better. I was worried there was something really wrong with the clear coat. I do have an appointment wit the paint shop on Monday to look at the car. I share what you guys mentioned.

Thanks again, love the forum.

Jim
Old 09-23-2016, 03:31 AM
azza2u
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Could be worth getting one of the clear pvc protectors that a few vendors sell. Have to use one under my hardtop as the weatherstrip seems to affect the paint when used without it.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible top making mark in paint

Quick Reply: Convertible top making mark in paint