Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

C3 plastic repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 10:36 AM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 116 Posts
Default C3 plastic repair

There are several broken plastic parts on our C3. I have read the forum threads and suggestions range from JB plastic weld to super glue and baking soda. I came across this video but not sure if this method will work on the grille plastic. Thoughts?

Old 03-07-2017, 11:12 AM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Shut the front door.... then there is this stuff, kind of loos like the super glue/baking soda method with the use of a black "silly putty" for molding. Not cheap, but a LOT cheaper than replacing all of the broken parts. Think this would work on the rocker panel broken tabs as well. SO many choices! Just want to use your experiences to make a smart choice!

Last edited by c1nicole; 03-07-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:37 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Rocker panels for a 1969-1969 are fiberglass....so I would laminate it....no question in my mind...depending on the severity of the damage.

When I repair plastic...it all depends on the crack and where it is located and if that damaged area is going to be put under any stress. That is what allows me to make the best choice in the various methods. I do not just use ONE method...because that does not always apply. I also use SEM and their products and have them on hand...so my choices are rather wide when it comes to plastic repairs.

So without a specific damaged piece of plastic begin shown...it is hard to tell you what to use.

DUB
Old 03-07-2017, 07:44 PM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DUB

So without a specific damaged piece of plastic begin shown...it is hard to tell you what to use.

DUB

DUB,

My rocker panels are in great shape except 2 tabs are broken (missing). I was thinking the mold option was great because I could use it to copy one of the remaining tabs.

Plastic tab also broken (not missing, just cracked) on front headlight grill.

Also the plastic/fiberglass under the brake console/arm rest is also broken in many pieces (this was a "gift" from the recent shop visit). The vinyl/leather is in great shape, so hate to replace if I can refurbish.

If you ever have a hankering to visit OK, you should come by my house and teach me some of your skills!! We lived in Winston-Salem NC for 4 years, beautiful place! Killer BBQ although I was not a fan of the cole-slaw on the pulled pork sandwiches. :o)

Last edited by c1nicole; 03-07-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Nicole,

I really appreciate the invitation to visit. BUT I am busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger...so I do not think I can get away.....BUT....I AM willing to pass along all what I do know to help you in regards to tricks and procedures...if you feel the need to need them.

Hopefully you understand that when I comment on doing something...that the reason I am doing so is because I KNOW you can do it IF you want to. So...please do not think that I am telling you something that will cause you to fail. THAT is NOT the case. Because.... I can simply do like I do on many threads...I just do not comment because I feel I would not add anything to help out on the problem or discussion.

I know what you are doing may be kinda new to you and you may feel you are in uncharted territory...but the benefit you have is like what I did not have decades ago are people who have been there and done what you are doing and only WANT to make sure it all comes out GREAT!

DUB
Old 03-08-2017, 09:23 PM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DUB
Nicole,

I really appreciate the invitation to visit. BUT I am busier than a one-armed wallpaper hanger...so I do not think I can get away.....BUT....I AM willing to pass along all what I do know to help you in regards to tricks and procedures...if you feel the need to need them.
That is BUSY!!!

I REALLY appreciate ANY and all advice you all are giving. The time you take to review and reply is appreciated more than you know! I would rather learn from others mistakes. Wink wink. I just hope I am not bothersome by my questions, that I am sure to some, seem absurdly obvious. Criticism, and advice are equally welcome, as long as done with the best intention and at least a smidge of kindness.

This activity makes me feel closer to my dad in a way, as strange as that seems. It is something I know he was really gifted at and had a great passion for. In doing this, I feel like it in a way, he is right there beside me.

This was one of his last project cars my dad assisted with before he passes (picture of the shop in piedmont, OK) so you can tell he did very high level work:
http://www.mustangandfords.com/featu...ototype-glory/

And videos about the restoration, this car is now worth over $500K!

http://www.5r002.com/video

Last edited by c1nicole; 03-08-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:26 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

Great thread.
New products/ new knowledge for me anyway.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Nicole,

Your questions are no bother to me. I prefer someone asking questions. Because IF they do not ask questions......and then ask how to fix something that they did not know how they could have repaired it.

You Dad had MAJOR SKILLS!

For what it may be worth to you...and hopefully I am not 'crossing a line'...... But your dad is with you when you work on your car among many otehr things in your life. Just my opinion on that.

And hopefully my responses are received as I intend them to be and that is without any condescending attitude. I am passionate about what I do and sometimes what I type can seem a bit.....uhhhh......egotistically arrogantly opinionated.....about sums it up. I am sure other forum members can add a lot more to it than that also.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 03-13-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 plastic repair

Quick Reply: C3 plastic repair