Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

L-88 hood ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 07:43 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Default L-88 hood ?

I have a 69ish factory L-88 hood that someone cut the front of the inner structure out of for use on a SCCA racer, my question is how difficult would it be to replace the whole inner frame with one from a 69ish small block hood using a SEM like product? thanks in advance!
Attached Images      
Old 03-28-2017, 06:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Not too bad. A heat gun and some thin shim stock material so you can get between the inner structure and the outer skin.

ALSO..just as an example....if you did not have a complete under structure off another hood...and only the front half section...you could get that to go in where they previously cut the inner structure...and still have it be solid.

The reason I am saying this is that before you do anything...you might want to figure out some type of jig that you can set the hood on that will keep it in the shape that it is now. Just taking the inner structure off and simply clamping it on the hood with glue may work in theory...but if the panels warp and you bond it together warped...then it will be obviously warped. In this scenario it is going to take a bit of set-up for your success....or at least that is what I would do if I had to replace the entire under structure.

And you need to be careful also...because I can see how the adhesive GM used has filled in the gap on the underside of the hood at the point of the hood where it makes a 'V'.

DUB

Quick Reply: L-88 hood ?