Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Block sanding C2 coupe- what do you use?

Old 03-22-2017, 11:05 PM
Ausbrian
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Block sanding C2 coupe- what do you use?

Hi Guys, I am about to start block sanding my 63 coupe, it has replacement front and rear end and are gel coated.These will then be primed with PPL Polyester Primer. As you know these coupes have a gorgeous body, all curves. But how do you go about block sanding these? I have experience doing previous cars but nothing with the amount of various curves. Do you make your own blocks to suit the different contours? Any advice on how you got a nice flat surface would be appreciated, pictures would be better. Thanks Brian.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:42 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Having experience on previous cars is good...because it is really no different. It is all about technique. But the most important part is having the sense of 'feel' while you are blocking the body. AND knowing when to stop and have to fill areas instead of blocking the body down and wearing a hole in it. That I can not help you with because obviously I will not be there.

I use sections of radiator hoses, heater hoses, my rigid long board, cut lengths of the thick paint mixing sticks like you get when you are mixing a 5 gallon bucket of paint and the Dura blocks.

When I block a Corvette I am not following the customary up, down, back and forth and angled blocking methods all the time.. Sometimes I use singe strokes of the block in one direction going where I want it to go and sometimes I will swirl the block. And all of these methods have to do with what I can feel and how I want it to feel when I am done blocking. The amount of pressure I am applying when I am blocking also makes a big difference ...depending on what I am blocking.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 03-23-2017 at 05:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ausbrian (03-23-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 11:15 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 276 Posts

I just finished painting a 67. So many concave and convex curves all over the car. I used dura blocks on the flat parts, and mostly the AFS sanders on the curved fenders. The AFS sanders are well worth the investment IMO. smaller diameter PVc Pipe is another option (3/4"). Also check out tylerkrauseinc website, he gets great results with his methods.
The following users liked this post:
Ausbrian (03-25-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Block sanding C2 coupe- what do you use?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Block sanding C2 coupe- what do you use?