Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

C2 Hood Ledge Weatherstrip

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 05:29 PM
fritzh52
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2 Hood Ledge Weatherstrip

Where should the the hood ledge weatherstrip end? should it go around the corner toward the front of the hood, if so how far? Some pics please. Thanks
Old 03-24-2017, 05:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I assume you want it just like the facotry did it so it can be judged???

Also...though it may not matter in this specific scenario...stating your year model does help due to changes that GM has been know to do on some things...and even your build date in some specific changes...also the type of engine due to 1963's did not come with or have a 396 or 427......so....using 'C2' is to much of a generic term.

DUB
Old 03-24-2017, 06:23 PM
fritzh52
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
I assume you want it just like the facotry did it so it can be judged???

Also...though it may not matter in this specific scenario...stating your year model does help due to changes that GM has been know to do on some things...and even your build date in some specific changes...also the type of engine due to 1963's did not come with or have a 396 or 427......so....using 'C2' is to much of a generic term.

DUB
Just asking how the hood weatherstrip should be instilled a 1964 coupe? Thanks
Old 03-24-2017, 06:48 PM
DUB
Race Director

OK...well I guess it does not matter then. Due to knowing all you want is to have it on the hood....because you did not answer my question about if you are worried about it being judged....because some people just want it close enough and functional...then simply fold the weatherstrip in half and find the center of its length..and put that in the center of your hood. Or measure the weatherstrip and take half of its length and do the same thing.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
fritzh52 (03-26-2017)
Old 02-04-2018, 04:07 PM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Received 611 Likes on 333 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by DUB
OK...well I guess it does not matter then. Due to knowing all you want is to have it on the hood....because you did not answer my question about if you are worried about it being judged....because some people just want it close enough and functional...then simply fold the weatherstrip in half and find the center of its length..and put that in the center of your hood. Or measure the weatherstrip and take half of its length and do the same thing.

DUB
Dub, what should the correct configuration be for a '64 coupe hood weatherstrip be? It is a VIN #19500 series , so it is June which would be late. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:42 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Panama 58
Dub, what should the correct configuration be for a '64 coupe hood weatherstrip be? It is a VIN #19500 series , so it is June which would be late. Thanks.
I guess you must be asking on how much of the weatherstrip goes down each side in regards to the length of it?

I do not know that exact measurement right off the top of my head. I can remember a lot of crazy useless stuff about these Corvettes...but this measurement ...is not there.. I will have to look in one of my NCRS books and see if they specify anything.

I am assuming that you are worried about it being judged???

DUB
Old 02-05-2018, 01:08 AM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Found this in a previous thread.
According to the 63-64 NCRS Judging Guide "The rubber weather strip at the rear of the hood is cut off approximately even with the hood latch pins. It is affixed with a brush applied amber/yellow appearing adhesive that may extend beyond the edges of the weather strip" That's the official version.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
Found this in a previous thread.
According to the 63-64 NCRS Judging Guide "The rubber weather strip at the rear of the hood is cut off approximately even with the hood latch pins. It is affixed with a brush applied amber/yellow appearing adhesive that may extend beyond the edges of the weather strip" That's the official version.

DUB
Old 02-06-2018, 09:01 AM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys. I just bought a '64 owned by the same guy for the last 45 years and am just in the process of documenting everything as original or not. It had a repaint in 1976 with acrylic lacquer, but it was a typical scuff and shoot and some of the weatherstrip seals still have some of the overspray from the repaint. Once I get the car I will take a picture of the hood w/s. If you read the description of the NCRS guide, it still leaves me wondering if the w/s should go around the corners and then down to align with the hood pins, or if they are aligned and trimmed directly above the hood pins. I do recall that on my car the w/s goes around the corner and downward to roughly the hood pins. I would GUESS roughly 6 inches down each side. Is my understanding of this description correct? No plans for judging, just love the details of originality.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:58 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys. I just bought a '64 owned by the same guy for the last 45 years and am just in the process of documenting everything as original or not. It had a repaint in 1976 with acrylic lacquer, but it was a typical scuff and shoot and some of the weatherstrip seals still have some of the overspray from the repaint. Once I get the car I will take a picture of the hood w/s. If you read the description of the NCRS guide, it still leaves me wondering if the w/s should go around the corners and then down to align with the hood pins, or if they are aligned and trimmed directly above the hood pins. I do recall that on my car the w/s goes around the corner and downward to roughly the hood pins. I would GUESS roughly 6 inches down each side. Is my understanding of this description correct? No plans for judging, just love the details of originality.
My reading of it is that it does not go around the corners. This is consistent with my weatherstrip that I removed prior to painting my '64 hood. The drip rails running along the fender side of the hood will direct the water down the slanted rails.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

I do recall that on my car the w/s goes around the corner and downward to roughly the hood pins. I would GUESS roughly 6 inches down each side. Is my understanding of this description correct? No plans for judging, just love the details of originality.
This is how I know it to be. The w/strip does go around the corner and down towards the hinge area as you stated.

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
My reading of it is that it does not go around the corners. This is consistent with my weatherstrip that I removed prior to painting my '64 hood. The drip rails running along the fender side of the hood will direct the water down the slanted rails.
Dave,

I am confused by what you wrote.. You mean to say that your hood w/strip did not go around the corner of the hood and down the side???

And I am assuming that we are all talking about the long piece of w/strip that gets glued to the back edge of the hood so it can seal against teh top of the firewall/plenum area.

I have had Top Flight/Duntov/Bloomingtion Gold and n-touched survivors car and I have always seen the hood w/strip go across the top back edge of the hood and wrap around the corners and go down a bit.

Not doubting you...but either I read what you wrote incorrectly...or I am just not getting it.

DUB
Old 02-06-2018, 07:03 PM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

Dub, the description written in the NCRS judging guide is dubious at best. I am part of another discussion on the NCRS board about this and I believe it is still up for debate as to whether it rounds the corners and goes down a few inches. My bet is that they rounded the corners and didn't just do as a straight piece. One of the very early members has stated that he recalls them changing the configuration in late 63 to resolve a hood shake/rattle problem. I have asked him if he meant '63 or '64 because my VIN is a very late '64 production because mine is configured with rounded corners. The debate continues.

Last edited by Panama 58; 02-06-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:25 PM
Panama 58
Melting Slicks

DUB, there are some guys on the NCRS boards that are pretty adamant about saying that no 63 or 64 hood weather strips were ever wrapped around the corners. One thing I have learned is there are few answers to questions about these cars that is this simple. Thanks for your input into this. Unfortunately I am not convinced either way at this point. May never be.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:21 AM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=DUB;1596537644]This is how I know it to be. The w/strip does go around the corner and down towards the hinge area as you stated.

Dave,

I am confused by what you wrote.. You mean to say that your hood w/strip did not go around the corner of the hood and down the side???

And I am assuming that we are all talking about the long piece of w/strip that gets glued to the back edge of the hood so it can seal against teh top of the firewall/plenum area.

I have had Top Flight/Duntov/Bloomingtion Gold and n-touched survivors car and I have always seen the hood w/strip go across the top back edge of the hood and wrap around the corners and go down a bit.

Not doubting you...but either I read what you wrote incorrectly...or I am just not getting it.

DUB[/QUOTE

I found this in a 2007 forum post:
'63-'64, the strip goes along the back edge of the hood only.

'65-'66, the strip wraps the back corners of the hood and terminates centerline of the male hood pins.

'67 same as '65-'66 except there are holes in the hood to accommodate push pins that hold the cut end of the strip to the hood.

I just looked up the hood weatherstrip in my '64 assembly manual(page D191 in my Mid America manual) shows the weatherstrip only on the back portion NOT going around the corner consistent with the above information.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Good to know. Seeing how GM changed it..it will be something I will remember if I get an owner that wants it correct as per how it as made.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Hood Ledge Weatherstrip

Quick Reply: C2 Hood Ledge Weatherstrip