Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Affordable rust remover

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 05:20 PM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Received 247 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Affordable rust remover

During my resto project, we have used Evaporust ($$$$), Naval jelly and several other methods including, but not limited to vinegar solution soaking, wire wheel (time consuming and dirty!) as well as sanding.

On another chevy restoration forum, I read a thread about using a common CHEAP product used by farmers: Milk stone remover. So I did some research, it is very concentrated (~46%) phosphoric acid. Well of course! That is the active ingredient in the expensive rust removers above.

SO.... you can obtain, online or at local farm goods store, a fairly large quantity of this Milk Stone remover for around $5 for nearly 110ml. Considering it is diluted to like 5ml/gallon, that $5 will go a long way!

I will post pictures of my results on this thread. Like most phosphoric acid containing rust treatments, it must be rinsed after being removed from the phosphoric acid bath.

Since there is a seemingly never ending supply of rusted parts on a 50 year old resto project, but an ENDING supply to my project funds, I had to research more affordable options. Evaporust and other products, although effective, are just NOT cost effective.

More to come.....
The following users liked this post:
DUB (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 05:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Thanks for finding a product that should work very well.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 03-27-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:54 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

i have been using it for a long time. cost wise it is cheap . i live in dairy country so everyone knows of it . phosphoric acid is just a cleaner. after blasting i wash with dawn soap. if there is anything left i let it dry the spray it down with acid then rinse.
clean metal will flash rust . nothing to freak about. it lets you know it is clean .
Old 03-27-2017, 06:39 PM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

You can get it in smaller quantities, but this is the form that can be found at tractor supply. We have lots of those in Oklahoma.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...id-rinse-1-gal
Old 09-16-2018, 10:15 AM
Parkit
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that this thread is a year old, but it addresses my same question about a affordable rust remover.

I came across quite a few references on the web about soaking rusty steel in a solution of white vinegar and a cup of salt. After rust is gone, you then rinse the part in a solution of water and baking soda.
You can pick up a gallon of white vinegar for a couple of bucks, so there's the affordable part right there.
So I'm wondering if anyone has tried this and found it to be a good rust remover also?

The hype about https://safestrustremover.com/ seems to sound good, but it seems to work the same way as vinegar is supposed to. The difference is that it costs $20/gal instead of $2/gal.
It's the way that saferustremover works that first got my attention which then led me to the vinegar solution which then led to the price difference.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:26 AM
Parkit
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To follow up, I did find Milk Stone remover, but it's $12/gal and I didn't notice anything about dilution until I did some searching.

So if the Milk Stone remover is diluted, does it end up as effective as vinegar soaking?
If diluted, it does seem that the MSr would be the way to go, although, most of the references I see about it refer to it's use on stainless steel and not other metals.

When I joined, I promised that I would be asking stupid questions. Here they are.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:29 PM
c1nicole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Parkit
To follow up, I did find Milk Stone remover, but it's $12/gal and I didn't notice anything about dilution until I did some searching.

So if the Milk Stone remover is diluted, does it end up as effective as vinegar soaking?
If diluted, it does seem that the MSr would be the way to go, although, most of the references I see about it refer to it's use on stainless steel and not other metals.

When I joined, I promised that I would be asking stupid questions. Here they are.
Welcome to the forum.

I tried about everything on the market during our parts restoration. The expensive rust formulas do a great job, but I found this to be the best cost effective solution. The vinegar solutions DO work, especially if you have time to let them sit.

This forum is a great place to ask questions and find knowledgeable answers.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:32 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

coke will remove it if you wait long enough. so will molasses . the milkstone remover is the best bang for the buck .

Get notified of new replies

To Affordable rust remover

Quick Reply: Affordable rust remover