Body shop dust

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 05:36 PM
61corv
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Body shop dust

What is the best method to remove all the body shop dust. I had some touch up work done on the trunk and the engine and radiator along with most of the car has sanding and polish resido everywhere. And yes the shop cleaned it but not to my standards...
Old 04-22-2017, 09:46 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

dawn soap and water .
Old 04-22-2017, 04:22 PM
TGO
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Get a better shop. They are obviously slobs.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I agree with soap and water and I have also added some vegetable oil to the mix to aid in lifting the dust of the surface while spraying it on the areas needing to be cleaned.

Originally Posted by TGO
Get a better shop. They are obviously slobs.
Come on now...SERIOUSLY....dust gets everywhere...regardless how much masking and prep is done...and you WOULD know this if you did body and paint work for a living...which obviously you don't.

Unless this was a JOKE ...which you forgot to let us all know you were joking.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 04-22-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:14 PM
porchdog
Drifting

clean up can eat up some serious man hours in a job. on a complete i bet i have a good 12-16 hrs in clean up.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:50 PM
61corv
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

No joke! Light dust everywhere like Dub said. It is under the wiring, around the generator, radiator... Like I said it was clean but not like when I brought it. Yes my paint guy is very good and cares about his work. I was thinking of using a hand pump bug sprayer with soapy water... But I like the oil idea then hitting it again with dawn and rinse and repeat. I didnt want to take apart anything. Or be to aggressive.

Thanks Dub, as always.

Last edited by 61corv; 04-22-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:44 AM
TGO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DUB
I agree with soap and water and I have also added some vegetable oil to the mix to aid in lifting the dust of the surface while spraying it on the areas needing to be cleaned.

Come on now...SERIOUSLY....dust gets everywhere...regardless how much masking and prep is done...and you WOULD know this if you did body and paint work for a living...which obviously you don't.

Unless this was a JOKE ...which you forgot to let us all know you were joking.

DUB

My current body shop returned my vehicle with no noticeable dust anywhere.

lol and no they didn't detail the car or the engine bay either.

I have had shops return my cars dusty in the past. **** I even found used sanding discs in my trunk from one place. Needless to say I found a better shop.

The main thing I noticed between the good and bad shops are : cleanliness , proper prep, and proper ventilation

Last edited by TGO; 04-23-2017 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:37 AM
porchdog
Drifting

if i have to work on a completed car which is rare i will slime the whole car .
Old 04-23-2017, 06:41 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by TGO
My current body shop returned my vehicle with no noticeable dust anywhere.

lol and no they didn't detail the car or the engine bay either.

I have had shops return my cars dusty in the past. **** I even found used sanding discs in my trunk from one place. Needless to say I found a better shop.

The main thing I noticed between the good and bad shops are : cleanliness , proper prep, and proper ventilation
Some repairs do not create a lot of dust so the engine compartment or anywhere else on the car as a matter of fact...and would not need detailing...but when serious body work is done...as like 'porchdog' stated...and I have to AGREE with. The time it takes to cleanup and get the car ready for delivery takes a butt load of time.

And...when I am doing a major job and it is getting ready to go in the paint booth for painting. I spends a day washing the entire vehicle with my pressure washer so I am already getting off all the dust and crap BEFORE I paint it. Any competent shop would do that.

SLIME is GREAT and does wonders. I use it also.

And here is something to think about....I know many have had their car be dusty and just take the hose and you rinse of your car really really good...but FUNNY on how when it dries NOT all of the dust came off. A micro layer will still be there...which requires wiping of some type.

Glad that you found a shop that delivers a car as they should.

DUB
Old 04-23-2017, 09:45 PM
61corv
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I had touch up on the rear quarter, and the hood was never opened. Well only to disconnect the battery... The car is clean, interior was spotless and everything else was great. It just seemed like the dust got everywhere and don't want to pressure wash. And replace decals or do damage. Geez! I was if there was a trick of the trade the lifts the dust without causing more work. My car isn't restored or modified. 50k original miles and engine bay is stock and not a show car. So there is some grime but not the Exxon Valdez either. Monday I will try the dawn and oil treatment.

Last edited by 61corv; 04-23-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:16 PM
TGO
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DUB

Glad that you found a shop that delivers a car as they should.

DUB
I am too.

A good body guy is worth their weight in gold.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 61corv
I had touch up on the rear quarter, and the hood was never opened. Well only to disconnect the battery... The car is clean, interior was spotless and everything else was great. It just seemed like the dust got everywhere and don't want to pressure wash. And replace decals or do damage. Geez! I was if there was a trick of the trade the lifts the dust without causing more work. My car isn't restored or modified. 50k original miles and engine bay is stock and not a show car. So there is some grime but not the Exxon Valdez either. Monday I will try the dawn and oil treatment.
I guess you read POST #4 where I mentioned a 'trick' that a friend who worked in a car museum told me about.

DUB
Old 04-24-2017, 05:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by TGO
I am too.

A good body guy is worth their weight in gold.

YES...it seems that people who actually CARE about all aspects of a job are getting harder and harder to find...which is why I guess I stay so covered up and with back log..I honestly feel I will never see the 'light of the end of the tunnel'.

DUB
Old 04-24-2017, 05:29 PM
porchdog
Drifting

lock the gate .
Old 04-24-2017, 05:34 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by porchdog
lock the gate .