Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Is MY color hard to match?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 10:26 PM
danh52
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Is MY color hard to match?

Over on the C5 forums people keep mentioning how hard it is to paint match the MY color. Is the yellow on the C5's really that hard to match and if so why?

I know that the hood on my car isn't original so it was painted and it seems to be a close match but that work was done by the PO so I have no idea who did the paint work or what material was used. Any feedback would be great.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have painted this yellow and had no problems in getting the color to match becasue I know how to blend paint.

NOW...if someone is just painting a hood and expecting it to perfectly match...that is where a color change can occur due to it being butt-matched and NOT blended into the adjacent panels.

Keep in mind many people may not shoot a test panel to see how far off their color is BEFORE they shoot the car...and then do not take the time to tint it to get the color so close that it can be blended.

I would have to wonder on 'those people' in the C5 section who mention how hard this color is to paint are actually professional automotive painters and know how to paint. THAT is where a problem can also be...they just do not do it for a living OR take the time like I do to make sure the color is going to work BEFORE I shoot the car.

DUB
Old 04-27-2017, 12:46 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

I write that the pearl yellow can be difficult to match.
This is speculation as I don't own a vette in this color as I think it is a tri-coat color.

Color of primer
Base coat yellow.
Tinted colored clear.
Color sun fade over time.

Mil thickness of the yellow is important to achieve as single coats don't cover fully.
So you do have to add a correct number of coats of color.
The skill needed to color tint the clear coat.

As mention by our co-member above, blending can fool the eye and the repaint may appear to be a match.
But a "Butt" match, yes that is difficult.

Good luck in your decisions.

PS Black paint is beautiful...haha
Old 04-27-2017, 05:59 PM
DUB
Race Director

I do not believe that the Velocity Yellow has any pearl in it ...or on it. I have shot that color and it is just yellow.

YES..I do agree that if a color is a tri-stage and pearl being the coat before the clear...there is a process in getting that right and knowing how many coats of pearl must be applied to achieve a match....and that also depends greatly on the base color being very close also.

DUB
Old 04-28-2017, 01:48 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

It's hard to match because the painter doesn't know how to blend paint.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by phrogs
It's hard to match because the painter doesn't know how to blend paint.
UHHHH-----YEP!

There are two types of painters. Regardless if they are in the automotive field or commercial, airplanes, etc.

1.) Those that shoot an all over ...such as cars, tractor/trailers, equipment, etc. All they have to do it get that component painted to what is being asked of them. This does not make them any lesser of a qualified painter. Because it does take talent and focus to shoot 100's of components and have them turn out correct each and every time. Because I have done just that before in my career when I painted up parts for military vehicles that had to meet a specific standards and were inspected each day.

2.) Then there are painters that have to match what is being given to them that was shot by someone else or even something they shot previously. Matching/blending paint is NOT the same as shooting something a color all over. It takes a bit more focus and talent to do this.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Is MY color hard to match?

Quick Reply: Is MY color hard to match?