Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Bare fiberglass protection?

Old 04-23-2017, 07:21 PM
Tewski
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'23-'24

Default Bare fiberglass protection?

I acquired a 72 project car, it needs some front end repair (surround/fender/valance). Before proceeding to fix those issues, i decided to strip the remainder of the car to determine if there was any additional damage and also removed the stainless trim and windshield to check for rot. Found a few small issues that are not show stoppers. I now have lots of bare fiberglass and am about to start working on various projects to restore the car, but I'm concerned that I may "contaminate" the bare fiberglass during these projects, either with greasey hands, accidental contact, sweat, blood, etc. Should I worry about this or should I put on a primer at this point? I'm just trying to prevent issues down the road if possible. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Brian
Old 04-24-2017, 05:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Honestly it is all about 'timing' and when to do certain things. If you have stripped the paint off the car and are now planning on doing work that can cause for grease, oil, sweat and whatever to get on the bare fiberglas. I ....personally would not have stripped it until it was time to do so....but with it now being done...it is up to you if you now want to apply a primer and then have to take that off again....or mask off the car in a plastic sheeting so anything that may spray onto it will NOT soak in the bare fiberglass.

I know this can become a pain in the backside due to possible having to replace the plastic and tape from time to time. ALSO...be SUPER SUPER CAREFUL of you are spraying ANY type of rust penetrate or oil based product. I do not spray these products in my shop. They are taken outside the shop and sprayed into a container and then I apply them with Q-tips or syringes that allow me better control to where I want them applied.

I will say this....it is WORTH the effort to make sure you keep the body and fresh as possible...because IF you get a bunch of crap on it and it soaks into the fiberglass..that is just one more thing that you will have to deal with....and it also can possibly come back and haunt you when you get done with job and it is out in the sun.

DUB
Old 04-24-2017, 07:44 PM
Tewski
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'23-'24

Originally Posted by DUB
Honestly it is all about 'timing' and when to do certain things. If you have stripped the paint off the car and are now planning on doing work that can cause for grease, oil, sweat and whatever to get on the bare fiberglas. I ....personally would not have stripped it until it was time to do so....but with it now being done...it is up to you if you now want to apply a primer and then have to take that off again....or mask off the car in a plastic sheeting so anything that may spray onto it will NOT soak in the bare fiberglass.

I know this can become a pain in the backside due to possible having to replace the plastic and tape from time to time. ALSO...be SUPER SUPER CAREFUL of you are spraying ANY type of rust penetrate or oil based product. I do not spray these products in my shop. They are taken outside the shop and sprayed into a container and then I apply them with Q-tips or syringes that allow me better control to where I want them applied.

I will say this....it is WORTH the effort to make sure you keep the body and fresh as possible...because IF you get a bunch of crap on it and it soaks into the fiberglass..that is just one more thing that you will have to deal with....and it also can possibly come back and haunt you when you get done with job and it is out in the sun.

DUB
Thank you, I appreciate the information and will protect it with primer and take it off later.

Get notified of new replies

To Bare fiberglass protection?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bare fiberglass protection?