Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Keyed damage repair

Old 04-28-2017, 03:10 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,653 Likes on 2,915 Posts
Default Keyed damage repair

I purchased my white 73 about 9 months ago and the prior owner had considerably dropped the price because the car had been keyed when he had it parked in a parking lot. The scratch runs from the front passenger fender all the way to the rear quarter panel and is through the paint down to the black. I'll be starting a full body off resto/mod sometime next year however I've been a little embarrassed to drive the car even though the car is spotless other than the scratch. Is there a way to repair the scratch to make it less embarrassing to drive until I pull it off the street and the car is completely repainted?

Last edited by OldCarBum; 04-28-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:50 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Yes ...with a brush and paint. Depending on the color and how good you want this touch up to look will depend on how much time you want to put in on it.

Not that you asked for this comment...but I will mention it.

I get customers that have basically the same exact issue. Some issue with the paint that they want me to touch up so they can drive it...not realizing that they are going to then pay me to do an overall paint job later. I tell them that IF they want waste their money they can pay me to fix something twice. Usually they just want a quick touch up and that is when I hand them the paint brush and paint and let them have at it. The reason I do this is becasue I feel it is a waste of my time to do this repair twice....regardless if they were planning on paying me for the touch up.

Now touching up a paint issue on a car that is not going to be painted within the near future..I have no problem in doing that and I get paid rather well for that service.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
OldCarBum (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 07:53 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Originally Posted by DUB
Yes ...with a brush and paint. Depending on the color and how good you want this touch up to look will depend on how much time you want to put in on it.

Not that you asked for this comment...but I will mention it.

I get customers that have basically the same exact issue. Some issue with the paint that they want me to touch up so they can drive it...not realizing that they are going to then pay me to do an overall paint job later. I tell them that IF they want waste their money they can pay me to fix something twice. Usually they just want a quick touch up and that is when I hand them the paint brush and paint and let them have at it. The reason I do this is becasue I feel it is a waste of my time to do this repair twice....regardless if they were planning on paying me for the touch up.
Now touching up a paint issue on a car that is not going to be painted within the near future..I have no problem in doing that and I get paid rather well for that service.

DUB
I was thinking to try this very thing, just to hide the scratch when its sitting or going down the road. I also considered taking it to a pin stripe professional who could probably do a much nicer job at matching the color. Guess I'll try my hand and see how it goes.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

I feel you can do a job that is good enough....because paying a pinstripe person to do it still will make it be seen when it is done...so more money down the drain...in my opinion. Kinda like shampooing your carpet due to some stains and wear holes in it but you know you are going to replace it in a few months....why waste the time and effort.

PLEASE understand that my way of thinking may be way far off the mark from others....but I do restoration and repair work for a living...so...after 30+ years..I am careful on how and where I spend my time. So..it may now make sense that if I spent 2 hours to shampooing and vacuuming carpet that I would be replacing in a month...how inside my head I can not understand the reason why the person would wants me to do that.

Do what makes you feel better....obviously.

DUB
OldCarBum (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 01:36 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

[QUOTE=DUB;1594633942]I feel you can do a job that is good enough....because paying a pinstripe person to do it still will make it be seen when it is done...so more money down the drain...in my opinion. Kinda like shampooing your carpet due to some stains and wear holes in it but you know you are going to replace it in a few months....why waste the time and effort.

PLEASE understand that my way of thinking may be way far off the mark from others....but I do restoration and repair work for a living...so...after 30+ years..I am careful on how and where I spend my time. So..it may now make sense that if I spent 2 hours to shampooing and vacuuming carpet that I would be replacing in a month...how inside my head I can not understand the reason why the person would wants me to do that.

Do what makes you feel better....obviously.

DUB[/QUOTE

It will be at least a year before I start tearing down my 73, So I will try my hand at blending in the scratch just to hide it so I don't always have to explain that it was done when owned by the prior owner and hear about what someone would do to a person who would scratch a classic Corvette. Is there any type or brand name paint you would sugggest?
Old 05-01-2017, 05:48 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
It will be at least a year before I start tearing down my 73, So I will try my hand at blending in the scratch just to hide it so I don't always have to explain that it was done when owned by the prior owner and hear about what someone would do to a person who would scratch a classic Corvette. Is there any type or brand name paint you would sugggest?
Not really. Get some touch up paint and give it try and see how well it sands so you can hand polish it to get it to where you are happy with it.

And it goes without saying...test your touch up paint on something else so you can perfect your method.

DUB
Old 05-01-2017, 06:58 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Perfect.
Thanks, Greg
Old 05-01-2017, 07:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Perfect.
Thanks, Greg
Greg...it should go good for you due you more than likely have good temperatures where you live.

Remember.( just in case you are not aware of it)..that thinner coats dry faster than one huge blob.

DUB
OldCarBum (05-02-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Keyed damage repair

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keyed damage repair