Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Paint gun access in grill area and under nose of C2

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 12:45 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Default Paint gun access in grill area and under nose of C2

This past weekend I finished up sanding the primer after doing some spot priming in some areas. It has taken 10+ years to get to this point.I hope to shoot color over the Memorial Day Weekend. When dealing with spray gel coat and primer, I didn't have much concern about access. I realized that the area under the nose and around the grill is tight. I have a Sata 3000RP with a small cup and didn't have good access to the grill area. I also have a DeVilbiss HVLP suction feed that would be a potential problem hitting the grill area when the under nose is done. Should I use multiple guns? What all have you done when painting these areas? Thank you all in advance.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I use my one gun that I apply the base coat with and have no problems. It has everything to do with how you angle the gun. And in doing so...then it may require you to change your adjustments slightly so you can control the basecoat you are applying.

DO NOT let the 'myth' that your paint gun MUST ALWAYS be a specific distance from the panel when you apply paint.

I hope I am not making this seem like it is SIMPLE..because when I am painting the grille opening in the center where I can hit the upper body area. I AM paying attention ...but I am also closer to the panel than normal and angling my gun differently and knowing how to use my gun to apply the paint with out flooding it on.

AND the same goes for the clearcoat. I am paying careful attention to how well my clearcoat is getting wetted out and yet not so soaking wet that I get a run or sag.

DO what works for you and where it gives you the results you need. If small gun cup works for you...go for it. Because I have the large SATA metal gun cups.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Dave Tracy (05-01-2017)

Quick Reply: Paint gun access in grill area and under nose of C2