Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

Default I Buffed Through My Lacquer Paint

I have a 1967 coupe. I was trying to get a couple of small scratches out of my paint and when I started buffing I when through on the top fender line on a Black lacquer paint job. I was told the car was repainted about 18 years ago with lacquer paint. It is single stage black, no clear. I figure there's no easy way to fix this. Is there a way to spot paint it without it being Really noticeable? There's not really anywhere to stop the paint line short of the whole front cap being repainted is there? I'm open for suggestions. The rest of the car still looks Really nice but it's not a trailer queen. I drive this car most days that the weather's nice.

Thanks

Old 05-02-2017, 06:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Due to the car is painted with lacquer. It could be repaired...BECAUSE....lacquer is NOT the same as what is currently begin used in the painting industry today.

Lacquer CAN always be softened by using lacquer thinner. Becasue lacquer NEVER catalyzes like current paints/clearcoats. SO...knowing that you can take a towel soaked with lacquer thinner and lay it on your paint....in time...the black paint will soften and you could wipe it off.

NOW...knowing that IF you shot lacquer back on it....and used the correct thinner that was 'hot' enough to being to penetrate the paint...you would NOT need to find a place to stop the paint....because you could shoot the paint and blend it out and then MELT that in with your lacquer thinner and fix this. When I wrote 'hot'. That is a painters term to describe the intensity of the thinner or solvent and its ability to stay wet longer or penetrate a surface. It has nothing to do with the actual temperature of the thinner itself.

NOW....this is where the 'fly can get in the ointment'....and that is BECAUSE you have to paint it black. The choice of your thinner will be CRITICAL...along with your air compressor air system in removing moisture from your compressed air...and being in the are a of the country where it can be humid....even though you had the correct black paint. IF you shot this black paint on a really hot day that was humid as heck and used a thinner that dried too fast. Your black paint can turn out looking like it is slightly gray...due to the moisture being trapped in the pant and the paint drying BEFORE the moisture can get out.

This is repairable...and it may take some time....and that is also where it is a toss up. Either take the time to blend and melt in your lacquer and get it right ...which can take a while...OR....like I have to do from time to time...I am forced to paint a lot more than I really want to in order to actually save me time in trying to do a spot blend repair that takes a lot of patience and expertise but does not effect the whole front or rear clip....depending on the year of the Corvette.

The styling ling that goes around the car ...the line above the fender gills and is also the styling line that is the very front of your headlight buckets is where you can back tape and NOT have to paint below it.

DUB
Old 05-02-2017, 09:11 PM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

Originally Posted by DUB
Due to the car is painted with lacquer. It could be repaired...BECAUSE....lacquer is NOT the same as what is currently begin used in the painting industry today.

Lacquer CAN always be softened by using lacquer thinner. Becasue lacquer NEVER catalyzes like current paints/clearcoats. SO...knowing that you can take a towel soaked with lacquer thinner and lay it on your paint....in time...the black paint will soften and you could wipe it off.

NOW...knowing that IF you shot lacquer back on it....and used the correct thinner that was 'hot' enough to being to penetrate the paint...you would NOT need to find a place to stop the paint....because you could shoot the paint and blend it out and then MELT that in with your lacquer thinner and fix this. When I wrote 'hot'. That is a painters term to describe the intensity of the thinner or solvent and its ability to stay wet longer or penetrate a surface. It has nothing to do with the actual temperature of the thinner itself.

NOW....this is where the 'fly can get in the ointment'....and that is BECAUSE you have to paint it black. The choice of your thinner will be CRITICAL...along with your air compressor air system in removing moisture from your compressed air...and being in the are a of the country where it can be humid....even though you had the correct black paint. IF you shot this black paint on a really hot day that was humid as heck and used a thinner that dried too fast. Your black paint can turn out looking like it is slightly gray...due to the moisture being trapped in the pant and the paint drying BEFORE the moisture can get out.

This is repairable...and it may take some time....and that is also where it is a toss up. Either take the time to blend and melt in your lacquer and get it right ...which can take a while...OR....like I have to do from time to time...I am forced to paint a lot more than I really want to in order to actually save me time in trying to do a spot blend repair that takes a lot of patience and expertise but does not effect the whole front or rear clip....depending on the year of the Corvette.

The styling ling that goes around the car ...the line above the fender gills and is also the styling line that is the very front of your headlight buckets is where you can back tape and NOT have to paint below it.

DUB

Thanks DUB you always come through.

My brother has a body shop but like everyone else he hasn't painted anything with lacquer in years. He's already mad at me for trying to get those small scratches out and screwing up what was a really nice 18 year old paint job. I'm hoping I can get him to fix it like you're talking about with the correct paint and thinner. He's stays so busy it hard to find time for my stuff.

Thanks again DUB

Old 05-03-2017, 06:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Hopefully he can find time. i know how it is because I am busier that a one-armed wallpaper hanger.

Not that this matters...and it is NOT to belittle you in any way....but rather POSSIBLY help someone who may read this. I often times get customers that want to get small little things out if their paint and I wont touch it with a 10 foot pole because I KNOW I would end up having to paint something on the car. I let them either take it somewhere else and let them screw it up or they do it themselves.Then...in time...they come back BEGGING me to help them becasue they wore through paint...and I remind them WHY I did not want to do it...basically repeating myself from the initial conversation on this... and NOW they know why.

TRULY sorry it happened but it can be fixed...and the blessing you have is someone who can do it right for you.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 05-03-2017 at 06:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To I Buffed Through My Lacquer Paint

Quick Reply: I Buffed Through My Lacquer Paint