Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

SMC repair thoughts,with pics..

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 04:11 PM
ColdGTA
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SMC repair thoughts,with pics..

Ok I'm working on my 93 Chevy stepside. I recently found out that the bed side panels are SMC as I'm sure all of you are aware.. Since you guys regularly work with this material thought I would have a better shot and some solid answers. So trying to determine the best and most durable way to fix some issues. See if I can load a couple of pics of the damage. Most of it is from rocks flinging up and hitting the panels over time. That and being outside all it's life in Alaska expanding and contracting in the hot and cold. I did just make some wheel well liners to help prevent some of this in the future.

Some of the damage may be hard to see. I also have some spider cracks in it as well that are hard to see on film. I've done a little research and thought of grinding down the spots and using some West system epoxy or some fiber filled SMC filler. Not sure though or is the epoxy even necessary? Or should I just layer epoxy over the the whole darn thing.LOL.. Any suggestions for a lasting repair would be great and product advise as I want to do it right. . I do have access to Fusor,3M and some Evercoat products along with U-POL. Remember though I live in Alaska so not everything is as available as for some of you are used to.

Thanks.
Attached Images       
Old 05-27-2017, 06:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

It looks like these panels have been shot on over a white that was already on it and I bet they did a poor job in prepping the white so it could allow the next white paint to stick to it.

I would sand them and see what happens and if all looks good...epoxy prime them and paint them.

DUB
Old 05-30-2017, 02:42 PM
ColdGTA
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
It looks like these panels have been shot on over a white that was already on it and I bet they did a poor job in prepping the white so it could allow the next white paint to stick to it.

I would sand them and see what happens and if all looks good...epoxy prime them and paint them.

DUB
Ok thanks DUB... I've owned it since new so no repaint ,that I know of,. Just wasn't sure of the proper product for a lasting repair with so much stuff out there that is "SMC Compliant", if you know what I mean..
Old 05-30-2017, 06:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Recommending on products that I use is hard to do due to not actually knowing what is needed. It is too exhausting for me to type out a laundry list of products and not know which ones you will actually need.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To SMC repair thoughts,with pics..

Quick Reply: SMC repair thoughts,with pics..