Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

L88 Extended Hood Fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 07:26 AM
Ranger24
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default L88 Extended Hood Fit

Looking for guidance on my hood. As you can see in the photo the hood line meets the upper fender line but without the trim piece the fender line does not meet the door line cleanly. I assume reshaping that fender is what most folks do to clean that up but I want to be sure that's the right approach. So, looking for confirmation or thoughts on other approaches.
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2017, 06:14 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

This is always a 'million dollar question' that my customer have that chosen to change the wiper door out for a longer hood.... and when it gets to the 'eyebrow' trim that goes onto the end of the top hood surround/fender area....they look at me and want me to 'figure something out'.

I have and honestly it is up to you to figure out what you can live with.

The end of the pillar post trim is generally what is the common complaint and they want it not to be seen....like it was when the 'eyebrow' trim was installed.

Without me posting any photos of the ones I have done. I will say that generally... I custom make the eyebrow trim visual 'effect' to what I want...and modify the hood to match it.

This area for me takes time but looks great in my opinion and those customers that chose to have me do it.

OFF SUBJECT...AND I KNOW you did not ask....so this comment if worth nothing....BUT...I will say that in the photo I see the yellow paint sanded down in spots an feathered out and so on. I know that I would not prep it that way ( if I was wanting to achieve a LONG TERM paint job) ...the paint would need to come off....simply because I could not nor would not want any settling out in time and possible seeing the 'rings' of where the paint was feathered out and exposing the raw fiberglass.

I have no clue if the photo is showing what is prepped to your liking or still going to be worked on. And I have no clue on what you plan on applying or what color it is going to be.

And I am COMPLETELY aware of some of the current high tech primers and so on...BUT...I also know what I have seen what 3-5 years can do to a paint job and in the right light and angle you can begin to see 'ghost' images of those areas where the original paint and primer were left on the surface.

Also please remember that I have to worry about stuff like this because I am doing it for other people and they want it right and I do not have the time to have to deal with an issue years after the fact. And I also do not tell my customers that their Corvette has to sit in the garage 350 days out of the year either. I want them to drive it in the hot summers and also cold winter days IF THEY choose to do so....and not be limited due to possible issues due to not prepping it the best I can so I take out any chance of potential problems.

I am also aware that many people every day prep the surface much like what you have done...but I have to do it differently ( especially on an overall paint job)..and that is NOT SAYING that what you have done is WRONG. It is what it is.

DUB
Old 06-16-2017, 07:04 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

filler over paint is never a good idea. you are setting yourself up for problems unless you are just going to flip it .
Old 06-16-2017, 07:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by porchdog
filler over paint is never a good idea. you are setting yourself up for problems unless you are just going to flip it .
..and GLAD that you are passing along your experiences also.

Whether anything is done or not is not up to us....

DUB
Old 06-17-2017, 12:26 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
..and GLAD that you are passing along your experiences also.

Whether anything is done or not is not up to us....

DUB
Responses are greatly appreciated. Wrapping up the glass work but that old paint will be coming off the car at the end of the day. I specifically requested it.

Roger on the trim wing, thanks for input.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:17 PM
DDanno
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

If you want to get ride of the transition between the fender and windshield trim. Try using windshield trim off a 70 and up car. It will drop down closer to the post at the point of meeting the Fender lip then go father down the side out of sight.

Get notified of new replies

To L88 Extended Hood Fit

Quick Reply: L88 Extended Hood Fit