Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

VIN Tag survival.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 07:04 PM
73BBVette
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default VIN Tag survival.

I've tip toed around this vin tag for about a year and a half. I'm getting close to setting the body back on the frame, and I want to do something to protect this vin tag from getting further deterioration. It's original and the car is NM. Most of the numbers are still readable, and although held by only one rivet now.....it's fairly firm in place. What could be done? Prep and paint? With what? I've only brushed it lightly with a small brass brush.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:21 AM
NONN37
Melting Slicks

Received 239 Likes on 198 Posts

Ive never had this problem. But I think Id try naval jelly from home depot, and finish off with sem trim black. gl
The following users liked this post:
73BBVette (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 05:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

In my state this is a very touchy situation.....so I have to bow out on this one due to I do not know nor will take the time to research how your state feels about this issue.

DUB
Old 07-14-2017, 07:12 PM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

clean it and leave it.
73BBVette (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 08:19 PM
73BBVette
Instructor

Thanks for the advice.
[QUOTE]In my state this is a very touchy situation.....so I have to bow out on this one due to I do not know nor will take the time to research how your state feels about this issue.[QUOTE].

If you're suggesting I contact someone with my State Police, DMV, or other entities related to vehicle registration concerning the Vin tag on a vehicle restoration.......then I will take that as sound advice. I would never dream of asking someone to research anything for me. If my thread implied that, then my apologies. It's my first attempt at a full frame off, and I guess there was some homework I skipped.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 73BBVette
If you're suggesting I contact someone with my State Police, DMV, or other entities related to vehicle registration concerning the Vin tag on a vehicle restoration.......then I will take that as sound advice. I would never dream of asking someone to research anything for me. If my thread implied that, then my apologies. It's my first attempt at a full frame off, and I guess there was some homework I skipped.
NO APOLOGIES needed. I just do not have the time to do research on this. Hopefully what you find out works out for you. Each sate can be quite different. In North Carolina...If I drill out the rosette rivets...that is a FELONY...and if I re-apply a VIN...that is a FELONY also. BUT...some states are not that aggressive. I believe a forum member has his car in Georgia due to how they deal with this stuff is quite different.

I have been through this EXACT SANE thing....where the VIN tag looked JUST LIKE what yours looks like. The state DMV came in and THEY removed it and gave the car a new VIN tag....thus...a new number.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 07-15-2017 at 06:26 PM.
73BBVette (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 11:37 AM
73BBVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
NO APOLOGIES needed. I just do not have the time to do research on this. Hopefully what you find out works out for you. Each sate can be quite different. In North Carolina...If I drill out the rosette rivets...that is a FELONY...and if I re-apply a VIN...that is a FELONY also. BUT...some states are not that aggressive. I believe a forum member has his car in Georgia due to how they deal with this stuff is quite different.

I have been through this EXACT SANE thing....where the VIN tag looked JUST LIKE what yours looks like. The state DMV came in and THEY removed it and gave the car a new VIN tag....thus...a new number.

DUB
Thanks.....this could be quite the quagmire it appears. I have a couple emails out to the DMV, hopefully they'll answer. I may go to a local body shop and see if they can shed some light. In the meantime I'll leave it as is. I never intended to remove it. Just make it more readable, and the light brushing helped. Why..oh..why could they have not made the thing out of stainless or aluminum.......😐
Old 07-17-2017, 11:45 AM
73BBVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB

DUB
Thanks.....this could be quite the quagmire it appears. I have a couple emails out to the DMV, hopefully they'll answer. I may go to a local body shop and see if they can shed some light. In the meantime I'll leave it as is. I never intended to remove it. Just make it more readable, and the light brushing helped. Why..oh..why could they have not made the thing out of stainless or aluminum.......😐
Old 07-17-2017, 05:45 PM
DUB
Race Director

They did make them out of stainless steel back in the day if I am not mistaken.

I did not mean to turn your project on its 'head'.

In my mind I would not see any problem with cleaning it up carefully and getting it protected so it would not rust any more....but that is my way of thinking which I know may totally differ with the authorities.

DUB
73BBVette (07-17-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To VIN Tag survival.

Quick Reply: VIN Tag survival.