Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Opinions on SEM flex bumper primer and Trim Black?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 01:06 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts
Opinions on SEM flex bumper primer and Trim Black?

Anyone using this stuff?

Comes ready to shoot out of the can.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:32 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

It all depends on what you are using it for....which can make a huge difference if I know that before I answer your question.

I know it is a great product (or at least the one I use does...because to you did not give a part number)...but any great product can fail if it is used in manners that it is not designed for...which is why I asked.

Having the exact part number would also be great.

DUB
Old 07-29-2017, 05:02 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

For some spots on the rear bumper:

SEM 39134 Flexible Primer Surfacer - 1 Quart

For the side body molding, under hood and windshield trim:

SEM 41024 Trim Black Euro Jet Satin Undercoating
Old 07-29-2017, 05:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I do not use the flexible primer from them. I have my own that I use. NOT saying that is it bad...I just do not use it.

As for the trim black. I would call them and ask them how to specifically prep the metal...because in their tech information that they only touch on plastics.

Like I wrote above....I like to give the metal or aluminum part a light rough texture. And this is because the actual chemical that can chemically bite into the metal is hard for companies to sell due to it is usually a zinc-chromate product and that is kinda controlled by the EPA for certain industries. NOT saying that it is not available...but it is not in the mainstream of products you can buy off a shelf.

Also...depending on these spots on your bumper cover...do not wipe them with a solvent of any type due to if you have bare exposed urethane...those solvents can cause it to swell and begin a whole list of potential problems down the road. Cleaning RAW urethane usually requires water based cleaner.

The procedures in prepping a raw/unprimed urethane bumper are quite specific. I know many have possible not followed the normal guidelines and had success...but you have to be aware that IF the chemicals that are in the flexible primer are aggressive enough and you still have paint and primer on the bumper where you are applying the primer...it is possible that the primer can be 'hot' enough up penetrate and get under those layers and cause them to lift or wrinkle.

I LOVE the SEM products...they have never failed me ..or at least the ones I use have never failed me. And their tech line is second to none. Call them if you have concerns.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
confab (07-29-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on SEM flex bumper primer and Trim Black?

Quick Reply: Opinions on SEM flex bumper primer and Trim Black?