Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Can we paint our C3 aluminum trim?

Old 07-29-2017, 04:00 PM
Emeightch
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Can we paint our C3 aluminum trim?

I'd like to paint everything black. I have the lower sills, doors, windshield, etc... Would anyone have a recommendation on product and process to do this? And, does this last?
Old 07-29-2017, 04:27 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I know that when I paint the trim for customers who want it painted....regardless if it is the stainless steel trim or the anodized aluminum trim. I put them in my blast cabinet and blast them to give them a slight rough texture...then I prep them so the adhesion promoter or etch primer will have a little bit more bite to attach to and then apply the paint.

It lasts for a good long while but keeping in mind I do not want to apply a lot of paint because if the trim is joined together..then it can get damaged to to excessive build.

DUB
Old 07-31-2017, 08:47 PM
Emeightch
Pro

Thanks (as always) Dub.

I have had them blasted. So I need some type of etch primer and paint. Is there anything specific I should use and will it work on other chrome trim pieces?
Old 08-01-2017, 02:45 AM
NONN37
Melting Slicks

Received 239 Likes on 198 Posts

I use SEM black etch primer. And SEM trim black. they come in tall cans can get a lot done.

Ive never tried it on hi wear areas like handles. It holds up pretty well and has an even semi sheen. and the spray cans make it easy to touchup.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by NONN37
I use SEM black etch primer. And SEM trim black. they come in tall cans can get a lot done.

Ive never tried it on hi wear areas like handles. It holds up pretty well and has an even semi sheen. and the spray cans make it easy to touchup.
100%.

this will last for a good while and if it gets nicked up...you have the cans there to do a touch up.

The SAME goes for chrome...you have to get it dull in the blast cabinet. All I try to do is not have the chrome have no reflection..when I achieve that..I know I am done blasting. I am NOT trying to blow off the chrome...just etch it completely. And the same goes for shiny stainless steel trim parts.

DUB
Old 08-08-2017, 08:50 PM
Emeightch
Pro

Prior to the etch primer & Paint, what is the best way to do some trim-work to fix some dents and dings? I have a couple pics below, but I have issues like this on several parts. Is there some type of filler?

Old 08-09-2017, 05:54 PM
DUB
Race Director

I can applaud your enthusiasm in doing this...I know I would not do it. And I seriously doubt that if I straighten the issues in the trim and had it anodized...if I would do that either....at least on the large 'T' stainless trim.

I know I would not spend the time using a filler...and I seriously doubt that if I was doing this for a customer they would pay me to work out these issues with a pick hammer and so on.

I am all for doing the top windshield trim ( narrow one) but the large 'T' stainless. I would not due to the t-top w/strips have to seal against it and I would be afraid of a problem there.

Call EVERCOAT and ask there tech dept if they have something that will adhere to stainless.

DUB
Old 09-06-2017, 05:55 PM
Emeightch
Pro

So I'm wondering if powder coating the trim would be a better way to go?

I have most pieces blasted already. I still need to send the chrome pcs out. I THINK the chrome will come off but I'm not sure.

I'm also considering this for the C3 rims.

Has anyone done this before?
Old 09-06-2017, 06:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

regarding your trim pieces...I would be concerned about the film build of the powdercoat. Possibly having it anodized...but I do not think that it can be blasted first for that.

DUB
Old 10-12-2017, 09:30 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Emeightch
So I'm wondering if powder coating the trim would be a better way to go?

I have most pieces blasted already. I still need to send the chrome pcs out. I THINK the chrome will come off but I'm not sure.

I'm also considering this for the C3 rims.

Has anyone done this before?
I had all the trim on my 77 powder coated , worked out well . Had no problems with putting it back together . It was triple coated , primer, colour then clear . Got the mirrors and door handles done as well as the inside door trim pieces (also put some 67 door pulls on ,but left them shiny ) .Picture shows the car almost finished , still waiting to put the top screen trim on .The big T piece and the corner pieces at the top of screen all got done too, as well as wheels and the 2 sill panel trim pieces at the bottom of each door .

I know originally my windscreen surround was black but I just wanted something different .NO more polishing those wheels

Last edited by bazza77; 10-12-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:13 PM
DUB
Race Director

Glad that you added your experiences on how well the powder coat worked for you.

I know the powder coat is some tough stuff...but I have seen the film thickness be rather thick on some powder coated parts...and that is what caused me to voice my concerns. Obviously yours turned out GREAT!

I do like the wheels.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Can we paint our C3 aluminum trim?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can we paint our C3 aluminum trim?