Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Bonding strip under hood

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 08:24 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 543 Posts

Default Bonding strip under hood

Please bear with me, not a body guy by any means, so I am looking for some advice. I am installing an over the radiator cold air intake in my C3 for the TPI engine I just put in it. I have cut down the core suppore to go over the top and managed to fit it under the stock hood. My issue is that when the hood is open, the ( not sure of the correct term here) bonding strip, or reinforcement that goes around the permimeter of the hood will hit the intake tubing at the pointed part of the hood by about 1 1/2". Is it possible for me to cut out a few inches of the reinforcement, then bond a piece of steel flat up against the hood ( like the plate over the headlights) without destroying the integrity of the hood? Here is a view of where it will hit. Just trying to get an idea how to solve this, short of just putting a softer silicone boot on the tube that will collapse when the hood is open ( and the engine is off). Maybe that is the best idea. Any thoughts wold be appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images  
Old 08-06-2017, 05:27 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Anything is possible but it all depends on the amount of time and effort you want to put into this.

YES...if you cut the understructure of the hood for the fresh air tube...it WILL effect it. and...attempting to bond a reinforcement is POSSIBLE. From your photo....it looks like you really do not have a lot of room for anything to be added IF the understructure is removed.

The softer silicone boot may be the quickest way to achieve success...but it all depends if that is what you want.

DUB
Old 08-06-2017, 07:05 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Dub, thank you. I am waiting on the silicone tube to be delivered, and that pretty much will tell me which way to go on this. If I cut out the fiberglass I was planning on bonding a 1/8" thick piece of steel plate in its place. Not taking up a lot of room, but should be sturdy enough. This is a work in progress, so I really can't say where I will end up, but that's the fun of this. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:29 AM
JCrock
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I would just trim the end of the intake tube a bit. Much easier and it's not going to affect the performance of the intake much, if any.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:12 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by JCrock
I would just trim the end of the intake tube a bit. Much easier and it's not going to affect the performance of the intake much, if any.
Sometimes the simplest of things make sense.

DUB
Old 08-07-2017, 07:02 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

I usuallly have an aversion to simple solutions. If I can't think things through with at least 5 ways of doing something, or if I don't cut myself and bleed all over, I have not done my best! The soft silicone tube will be here in a few days, and with some triming this might be the simple solution. I will update as I get close to the end of this. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Bonding strip under hood

Quick Reply: Bonding strip under hood