Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

1970 coupe body repair with a side of SMC

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 08:05 AM
VancouverL71
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Dan,
Just wanted to say that you are doing a great job. Thanks for all the great pictures and please keep them coming as I am learning. I am on the cusp of starting the bodywork on my 1969 and seeing you coming up with the results with Dub's help inspires me to move forward with my repairs.
Thumbs up
Pete
The following users liked this post:
LTwannaB (09-29-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 07:55 PM
Plasticfreak
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 106 Posts

I can see you are doing very well with your glass work.......just don't hurry, cure time is important.....most of all, listen to DUB!
LTwannaB (10-04-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 08:24 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

well on the 8/22/17 you were just trialling different glass mats and cloths . by 9/12 you casually show a really nice 3 angle large piece MISSING corner repair .

outstanding

you have got the (fibreglass repair ) bug now ,I had a laugh when you mentioned the "Backlight for dramatic effect" ..
Old 11-05-2017, 01:22 AM
LTwannaB
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm making slow progress on the rear quarter seams and taillight panel seams.

Decided to check rear bumper fitment while sanding the corners.
The right rear bumper mount doesn't lay flat against the body.

I checked the angle on the bumper and it looks like 28 degrees.

My corner looks close in the horizontal plane, but I have no idea what the vertical shape should look like.

Does anyone have some pictures with the bumper removed to show the shape I need to create?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 11-05-2017, 05:27 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

To be honest...photos will not be much help.

The area on the very corner where the bumper is touching is smooth...meaning there is no raised pad with defined crisp lines in it. There is one there...but it is so subtle that many may not see it.

When you are installing the bumper....and you have it touching and up against the quarter panel near your side marker light...and then it wraps around to the rear. I make sure that the bolt by the side marker light is in place and that the bolt for the bumper by your license plate mount area is also in. THEN I look at the corner mount area and adjust accordingly.

***TRICK***

I can see in your second photo in post#24. That you have a gap at the top where the bracket is touching the body at the bottom of the bracket.

When I have ones like this where I am going to be 'splitting the lesser of two evils'. I mask off the metal mount area on the bumper and prep the area where I will then apply VPA ...and using the flat surface where the bumper will be touching the body...the VPA will then be flat when I pull the bumper off when the VPA is beginning to set-up.

I know I would not try to build out a lot with the VPA....all I am looking to do it give the metal a little bit more flat surface to contact.

DUB
Old 11-07-2017, 10:58 PM
LTwannaB
Advanced

Thanks DUB!

I'm going to bolt it up and make a template of the shape I need at the top corner, then laminate some fiberglass to bring the top out to better match the bumper mounting pad. Maybe someone will post a picture of that area...

This isn't the original bumper, so it's no surprise it doesn't fit correctly. The bumpers had rubber sheet pads on all the mounting surfaces, which probably helped with gaps.

The AIM shows the bumpers bolted tight to the fiberglass body. No spacers or pads.

Dan
Old 11-08-2017, 04:56 PM
DUB
Race Director

I would be careful in making your body match this mounting pad perfectly. The reason is that you can actually mess it up by adding too much material than is actually required...and by doing this..you actually visually alter it appearance.

But do as you feel comfortable in doing. But do not say that you were not warned....and the only reason I am writing this is because I have had a few customers that wanted me to fix it and when I made it perfect...it looked like total crap...expect that the mount pad was perfect...but the surrounding area was not correct....and I actually ground off all I had applied.

DUB
Old 11-08-2017, 11:52 PM
LTwannaB
Advanced

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

I would be very leery of following the AIM torque spec (25-35 Ft-Lbs) for that mounting bolt with the bumper mounting pad not touching the fiberglass at the top. I would think that would put stress on the body and cause a crack?

Perhaps the better route would be to make an aluminum spacer that fills the void and allows the bumper mounting bolt to be tightened and not distort the body.

Probably be quicker than building up the body.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 11-09-2017, 05:56 PM
DUB
Race Director

You would be surprised on how tight you can get these bots IF 'things' are correct.

IF all is correct...tightening up these bolts is not going to be able to compress the fiberglass.

Where I have seen 'problems' when the inner steel support or bracket is NOT laying flat against the FLAT fiberglass...and IF the bumper mount is at a really bad angle...you can crack something.

This is why I often times mention to people that they need to mount this stuff up and verify ALL is good...so they do not have any surprises when they are installing them AFTER it has been painted.

Not that this matters...but seeing what I am seeing in your photos...because I have seen it many, many times. I would use the VPA and not think twice. And knowing that the mount area for the bumper mount pad to touch the body does not have to be all inclusive to still be effective ane not cause any problems. And the reason I an writing this is because it is a fact..and I can not tell you how many factory built Corvettes where the bumper mount pads that touch the paint were NOT all touching the body perfectly flat.

Do whatever you want....just passing along what little bit I know about this stuff.

DUB
Old 11-26-2017, 12:47 AM
LTwannaB
Advanced

Finally got the bumper mount pad built up so the bumper mount flat area is touching right around the bolt. I ended up laminating a lot of layers that were eventually ground off to make it look right, as DUB foretold!

Old 11-26-2017, 01:00 AM
LTwannaB
Advanced

Next up was test fitting the rear valance panel.
The ends didn't quite have that factory "look" to my eyes:

Turns out the inner rear quarter panel doesn't have a flange to attach the valance or the exhaust bezel.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:14 AM
LTwannaB
Advanced

Test fitting the exhaust bezels also revealed the rear quarter panel opening was too big.

About 3/8" too wide on the left.

And 1/2" too wide on the right.

So I ground the edge and feathered it back 2".

Applied masking tape and started laminating from the back.

I laminated 3 layers on the backside, and will laminate 2 layers on the front.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:33 AM
LTwannaB
Advanced

I built a crude jig to create the flanges for the rear valance panel.
A 2x4 with a piece of plywood screwed to the top.

Another 2x4 is clamped into the jig to press mold an angle piece to use for flange material. Drywall screws are used as depth stops and set at 1/8".

I wrapped the 2x4s in plastic for mold release, 4 layers of well saturated 1.5 oz. mat was laid in the jig, clamps applied and left overnight. It worked pretty well.

Now I need to create a curved jig for the missing exhaust bezel attachment flanges which attach to the inside of the rear quarter panel.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:59 PM
DUB
Race Director

****Creating the bonding strip for your exhaust bezel mount area*****

To create the curve for your exhaust bezel...you can use the curve on the exhaust filler panel as a mold. I do when ever I need to make that bonding strip that goes on the backside of the 1/4 panel.

DUB
LTwannaB (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 06:00 PM
DUB
Race Director

Very nice work...keep it up.!!!

DUB
LTwannaB (11-26-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 10:11 PM
LTwannaB
Advanced

I found this drawing in the AIM and figured I could just buy the flange (item 5) I need... no such luck!

Using the valance for the mold makes perfect sense.

Thanks DUB!
Dan
Old 11-27-2017, 05:56 PM
DUB
Race Director

Glad to help.

Did you try Corvette Image for the bonding strip???

They sell them.

Page 20 of their catalog...part number 10

http://www.corvetteimage.com/downloa...ge-Catalog.pdf

But seeing how you are getting really good at it....you might do like I do and make my own faster.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 11-27-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1970 coupe body repair with a side of SMC

Old 11-27-2017, 09:09 PM
LTwannaB
Advanced

Thanks for the link, I haven't seen their catalog.

For $86, I think I will try my hand at making them myself.

How hard could it possibly be?

Dan
Old 11-28-2017, 05:42 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by LTwannaB
Thanks for the link, I haven't seen their catalog.

For $86, I think I will try my hand at making them myself.

How hard could it possibly be?

Dan
Dan,

I agree...but for me...sometimes buying them is actually cheaper for my customers due to I have to charge for my time and materials.

I have molds for many odd parts so that I can wing-up them if needed...but if it is part that I do not have a mold for...that is where the costs can vary.

I KNOW you have this one in the bag and should not be an issue at all.

DUB
LTwannaB (11-28-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 04:03 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default vette

Those are some serious holes and some nice repair work. I had some issues with my 69 rear quarter and the rear bumper holes. I had a doner car for the front clip replacement. I tried making a mold of both areas.
I realize many do not have donors but if they do.............................

RVZIO

Quick Reply: 1970 coupe body repair with a side of SMC