C5 Fiberglass chip repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 12:30 PM
Jackn
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default C5 Fiberglass chip repair

Hi all,
I just joined the Corvette community with my first Corvette, a 2000 C5 convertible . I love it and have been having a blast cruising around. Since my purchase, I found two small chips in the fiberglass on the leading edge of the convertible cover. I'm not skilled in body work and painting but I'm hoping someone might have a suggestion of how to do s simple repair so I can touch it up with a little paint. I'm thinking of placing a small amount of some type of resin to seal in the fiberglass. I appreciate any ideas. Thanks, Jack

Last edited by Jackn; 09-03-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Jack,
Welcome to the Corvette Forum!

If it is not that much trouble.....it would be wise and helpful for oyu to fill out your Public Profile and you do not have to be really specific. A general area where you live can help you in the future if you need help and another member is close by...and also... so if when any products can be advised to you...we know if you live in a state that is really tight on EPA rules and so on...where other states do not.

YES...this would require some filler to get the fibers filled and the chip basically back up to being level and correct.

I can see that there is a small area that is looking like it is gettign ready to pop off and you might as well pop it off and do the repair. On the top left hand corner in your photo.

With it being right on the edge...is kinda good...due to touching it up with some paint and clear should not be such an eye sore. But be for warned...tying to brush touch up a silver can be a bit tricky in getting the metallics to lay down correctly and the color not get really dark on you.

The choice of products you want to use is up to you because me giving you what I would use would more than likely cause you to not use them due to you are paying a lot of money for a product that you are only literally going to use a pea size amount of. Just be careful in what oyu sue due to they need to be compatible.

And if you find products that you plan on using. I would HIGHLY advise you on testing them all on something other than your car to make sure they work before you jump right in on your car and thus create a bigger cluster due to not confirming the compatibility of these products.

DUB
Old 09-03-2017, 06:52 PM
Jackn
Intermediate

Thanks for quick reply DUB. I did fill out my profile but maybe it's not visible for some reason, I'll check on it.

I have been referred to this forum repeatedly ever since I started looking at Corvettes. I am impressed with all the info and helpful members here. I'll be doing lots of reading. Thanks again!!

Anyone have an idea of what type of product I should use? I've heard of body filler, fiberglass resin and others. I want to make sure whatever I use, it will bond well to the existing fiberglass.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Your body panel is made out of SMC ( Sheet Molded Compound)

The 'trick' is that if you use an epoxy adhesive that can be used to bond SMC panels...it often times is very solvent sensitive and thus can swell if solvents come in contact with it.

I myself would use Vette Panel Adhesive on this spot....but a quart can run you around $40+.

Possibly you can go by a body shop in your area and see if they will give you a small anoint of their filler and some of the hardener. I know have done this for people how stop by and I would if you stopped by my shop. just take a small container or aluminum foil so these products and be put on them and then sealed up so when you go to use them you can. Throw them a few bucks for some sandpaper while you are there...or they may give you some due to the area is so small I would without hesitation. It is not like the materials and sandpaper is going to put me in the poor house.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Andy1972 (09-10-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 02:54 AM
Jackn
Intermediate

Thanks DUB. I did a little research and that sounds like what I need. Wish me luck!

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Fiberglass chip repair

Quick Reply: C5 Fiberglass chip repair