Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Jetstream Blue Caliper Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 03:57 PM
DubGA
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Jetstream Blue Caliper Paint?

I've done some searching and can't find any info. I know some vendors sell caliper covers that can be painted your oem color, but does anyone make brake caliper paint in something that is a close match to Jetstream Blue?

Or has anyone ever used automotive base/clear on a set of calipers? If so, how did it hold up?
Old 09-16-2017, 06:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I am NOT passing judgement on you or how you want to do this. It is your car...so it is your choice.

I am NO expert on this...but for me. Painting the caliper in basecoat/clearcoat can be done but you would have to worry about a proper ground coat that would allow for adhesion...then it has to do with the THOROUGH cleaning of the caliper so it will adhere.....THEN it would depend on if the brake pads are putting off hot brake pad dust and that hot brake pad dust has enough heat to it to stick onto the paint and actually melt into it. THEN you would have to consider the possibility of brake fluid getting on what was just applied and ruining it if it can be effected by DOT 3 brake fluid. I have seen people paint calipers while at a Corvette gathering...and with all of the taping and what-not is a joke in my opinion due to they are not even getting the surface clean...they are just spraying something on a caliper to make it look good from 50 feet away. SO painting them on the car is something I would never do. In my 'book; 'Do it right or don't do it at all'.

I rarely get customers who want the brake calipers 'painted'. I tell them the only way I will have anything to do with it is if they get completely disassembled and sent off and powder coated and then re-assembled. Some want me to shoot aerosol paint or the 'caliper paint' which I think is an epoxy based paint or ceramic based paint on them. I just won't do it ...mainly because I do not want to have to constantly deal with the paint failing (if it did) and have to keep doing them again and again....so I let them do it at home.

And please understand that I paint for a living so my perspective on things like this may be different than other people because if anything I know....the PREP is the most important part. If it is not clean and prepped correctly...it won't stick.

So..with so many variables at play here...how well the 'paint' holds up depends on other contributing factors...and responses can be subjective.

DUB
Old 09-16-2017, 11:31 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

I had mine powder coated by mikethepowdercoater years ago. He used to be a vendor on here, I don't know if he still is one. They are a very close match to the paint color and I've received many favorable comments on them. They look just as good as new after 64k and climbing.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:09 PM
DubGA
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. Dub, you make a good point about brake dust eating away at base/clear paint. On my previous car, I used black brush-on caliper paint. You are right, it is epoxy paint. I painted them black and got red vinyl lettering to stick on the front calipers. Rear calipers weren't big enough for lettering. Kept the car for 8 years and put about 40k miles on it and the calipers still looked great when I sold it.

After looking at pics of color-matched calipers on base C6's, I think I'm going to do the same with this one as my previous car. Paint the calipers black and see if someone sells color-matched vinyl lettering to put on the front calipers.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:41 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Having painted several sets with G2 and Duplicolor my experience there is not much difference in the two brands. Prep is the secret to a good long lasting paint. Clean, clean and more clean. I start with brake cleaner and then go the Prepsol for the final clean, some do a alcohol wipe as their last step. tape everything off and take your time. On the front caliper for the letters, paint them out and then use a small sanding block with #400 wet/dry paper sand off the unwanted paint. The #400 will actually polish the letters. The ultimate fix is to have them powder coated and replace the seals while you are at it.

Get notified of new replies

To Jetstream Blue Caliper Paint?

Quick Reply: Jetstream Blue Caliper Paint?