Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Removing the roof off an FRC

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 07:57 PM
68caddy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing the roof off an FRC

Seems that every thread that covers this topic had photos uploaded via photobucket which at some point started charging for 3rd party photos.

2000 c5 Corvette

Here

Hoping someone can point me to thread that covers it or a website.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 68caddy; 09-17-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

No website or thread that I am aware of...but I do know that the factory service manuals outline on how specific body panels need to be installed.

Generally heat is what is going to soften the adhesive and release so the panel can be removed but that in itself can be challenging due to the amount of adhesive that was used. So it is possible that the panel can be damaged if someone does not take the time to carefully peel the panel off.

I will touch on this and then I am done on this thread. Doing automotive repairs (mechanical and body) for a living and having to make sure the work I do is brought back to the same as how the car was built because it needs to be done that way and also to protect me from any liability. And this is often times due to dealing with insurance companies paying for this work. And I have to guarantee the work for the cars lifetime. I know I would bond that panel back on due to it being an integral part of structure....and yes...I know there are convertibles with no solid roof and a targa roof that can come off....but that does not matter.

It is your car and your choice of how you do whatever to it.

DUB

Quick Reply: Removing the roof off an FRC