Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Paint Bubbles

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 09:11 AM
rhoyvald
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Paint Bubbles

When I bought my 2005 Vert the rear hatch did not have any small paint bubbles on it and that was two years ago.

Now (its outside 24/7) it is starting to get these small bubbles on the corners of the rear hatch. I am sure if it was still kept in the garage the rear deck would out gas as much and produce these small irregularities.

What's the best way to fix them(body shop fro repaint, pop with pin or razor blade)?

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2017, 09:17 AM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

It is possible it is a repaint. A photo will help.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:18 AM
rhoyvald
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
Will take one at lunch and post - thanks!
Old 09-18-2017, 01:12 PM
rhoyvald
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
Here is the picture of the bubbles - a little hard to see in this picture with the glare so you'll have to zoom in.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Is the car covered when it is outside now???

I can see the bubbles well and these bubbles are rather severe....in my opinion. I am guessing that they are located in an area that if you raised up this panel ...the bubbles would be above an open cavity of where the under structure is bonded.

It could be one of the panels where the chemical make-up of the SMC is off and they can do this in time. It is know to happen on Corvettes and also other GM cars with SMC panels and not uncommon.

If the SMC has been compromised due to moisture...stripping it down to bare SMC and re-painting is still NO guarantee that it will not come back. Simply because primer can only stick to a substrate that is in good condition.

I have been asked by many Corvette and new Camaro owners who have a problem with a panel or panels on their car... and the only way I know to fix it is to either replace the panel with new one and hope for the best that that new panel is good....or grind out the suspected bad areas and laminate in new material and then fill over it.

DUB
Old 09-19-2017, 08:22 AM
rhoyvald
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
Is the car covered when it is outside now???

I can see the bubbles well and these bubbles are rather severe....in my opinion. I am guessing that they are located in an area that if you raised up this panel ...the bubbles would be above an open cavity of where the under structure is bonded.

It could be one of the panels where the chemical make-up of the SMC is off and they can do this in time. It is know to happen on Corvettes and also other GM cars with SMC panels and not uncommon.

If the SMC has been compromised due to moisture...stripping it down to bare SMC and re-painting is still NO guarantee that it will not come back. Simply because primer can only stick to a substrate that is in good condition.

I have been asked by many Corvette and new Camaro owners who have a problem with a panel or panels on their car... and the only way I know to fix it is to either replace the panel with new one and hope for the best that that new panel is good....or grind out the suspected bad areas and laminate in new material and then fill over it.

DUB
The car is my daily driver and is not covered - mostly covered if going on vacation or the day before a car show ect.

The bubbles are on the left edge of the hatch as your looking at the rear of the car.

Based on that - what do you think are my best options?
1. Replace
2. Repair and paint?

Thank you for you advice and help!
Old 09-19-2017, 05:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by rhoyvald
Based on that - what do you think are my best options?
1. Replace
2. Repair and paint?
It is A 50/50 scenario.

If you replace the panel with a used one or if you can find a new one...there is no way to know if it will do the same thing.

Repairing it is also the same deal...if you fix it...depending on how it is repaired ...it could come back or start in another area.

Repairing it may be the best option.

And these bubbles are not on any other area of the car at all...correct???

DUB
Old 09-19-2017, 07:41 PM
MR_JLR
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what products do you use to wash/detail your vette?
Old 09-20-2017, 08:21 AM
rhoyvald
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
It is A 50/50 scenario.

If you replace the panel with a used one or if you can find a new one...there is no way to know if it will do the same thing.

Repairing it is also the same deal...if you fix it...depending on how it is repaired ...it could come back or start in another area.

Repairing it may be the best option.

And these bubbles are not on any other area of the car at all...correct???

DUB
Nope - just there on the hatch but on both sides not so bad on the right side. I guess a trip to the body shop might be in order shortly!
Old 09-20-2017, 08:23 AM
rhoyvald
Instructor

Originally Posted by MR_JLR
Just out of curiosity, what products do you use to wash/detail your vette?
I use Meguiars products and just started using the washless product too.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:50 PM
DUB
Race Director

Another possibility

It may be possible that IF this deck lid has been painted on after the factory paint job...it can be that paint job coming off and you still have the factory paint job under it in good condition.

I have seen this happen before...and it was due to when the part was painted..the paint shop did not even scuff the facotry paint and it bubbled up in time...much like what you are showing.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
rhoyvald (09-21-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Bubbles

Quick Reply: Paint Bubbles