Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Weatherstrip replacement on C5 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 01:35 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Weatherstrip replacement on C5 Z06?

One of these days I am going to get the C5Z repainted, and when that happens I will want to get the mouldings above the door windows on both sides replaced, since they are both broken somehow. I already have new ones that I bought set on the shelf in the garage, but I was looking at accounts or replacing those mouldings, and it seems that most people are saying that the weatherstrip that goes between the window and that moulding will usually get destroyed in the process. Apparently the weatherstrip is glued in place and trying to remove the weatherstrip is not a gentle process.

So I decided I should get a set of weatherstrips as well. In case anyone is interested, the GM part numbers for these items is as follows:

10333467 (passenger side)
10333468 (driver side)

I found a guy on Ebay selling a set from a 2004 Z06 and he claimed they had no rips or tears in them, so heck, I decided to buy them. Well, when I got them, I found quite a few rips and tears in them, all on the side that would have been glued to the moulding. Pictures will be below. Honestly, I'm not happy with the rips I see, but never having done this sort of thing before, will they be a significant problem? Will they likely be the source of leaks and other headaches? Or is this a non issue and I'm just worried about nothing?

Old 10-15-2017, 01:35 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

More pics....

Old 10-15-2017, 05:49 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

You took so many close up photos....I have no clue on where the problems are in relation to how the weatherstrip is installed in the track.

If it were me...and if GM still sells them....then that is the only way I go. Brand new.

But I have also had to install w/strips that someone bought from someone that were not the best they could be and they still wanted me to install them. If the sealing area of the w/strips is good where the glass seals...then they might be okay to install...but then it would also depends on how screwed up the surface where the w/strip fits into the track and gets bonded.

DUB
Old 10-15-2017, 07:49 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
You took so many close up photos....I have no clue on where the problems are in relation to how the weatherstrip is installed in the track.

If it were me...and if GM still sells them....then that is the only way I go. Brand new.

But I have also had to install w/strips that someone bought from someone that were not the best they could be and they still wanted me to install them. If the sealing area of the w/strips is good where the glass seals...then they might be okay to install...but then it would also depends on how screwed up the surface where the w/strip fits into the track and gets bonded.

DUB
Yeah, I hear you. Kind of tough taking a photo that would show the damages yet show exactly where they are located. All of the damage is on the side of the weather strip that would attach to the car on the molding. I took some wider angle photos of the side of the weatherstrips that the window would press up against, and they look fine to me. The issue is that I don't know how significant the damages I see would be if these weather strips were installed. But honestly, I rarely ever take the car out, and never knowingly if I'm expecting rain, because I live on a dirt road, and mud bogging in a corvette isn't as much fun as you might think it is...

Anyway, I appreciate your advice. I'm not sure if these weatherstrips are still available from GM. A lot of websites say they are, but if my past experiences are any guide, I won't really know until I place an order, and then MAYBE get an email response a few days later telling me that GM no longer makes them, so SORRY CHARLIE. Yeah, I prefer new too, but had these been perfect and with "no rips and tears" as the copy ad said when I bought them, then I felt this would have worked. Now I CAN return them, but I'm just having second thoughts as to whether these would actually be OK, and I just have my "corvette perfection OCD" gene kicking in.

Last edited by Rich Z; 10-15-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:53 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

BTW, what sort of adhesive is used for these weatherstrips?
Old 10-15-2017, 10:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

From the way that it looked...most of the problems was where the w/strip locked into the tracks...am I correct??

YES..I know there were some tears and splits. The CRL 1716 can help there along with the 3M glue below.

You can tryto casrfulyl install it dry adn see if the w/dstrip will fiteh track correctly.

You can use 3M 8008 or 8011 glue. And in some cases...which may not be cost effective to you do to not having it on hand. I use the CRL 1716. And YES...the CRL 1716 does work.

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/sh...&ModelID=19965

DUB
The following users liked this post:
Rich Z (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 11:28 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, I would say that all the rips and tears are on the side that locks into the tracks on the moldings. I will attach more pics here showing that side for you.

But maybe I have been jumping to a confusion here. I was assuming that these weatherstrips are glued into place as well as being "locked" into tracks. And it is because of the glue that chunks of the weatherstrip may come away from the main piece while being removed. Or is it that pieces come off because of being locked into the tracks and being stuck there when being removed? If this is so, then I need to rethink keeping these used weatherstrips if they are missing significant areas that are needed to keep them locked into the tracks. Having never seen the weatherstrips laying on a bench, I just don't know if there is something significant missing from them or not.

I CAN try to match them up with the moldings because I do have the spares moldings laying on a shelf, so perhaps that will show me more? Still, if there are some sort of tabs that more securely hold the weatherstrip in place that are missing, I really won't know that even trying to fit them into place.

Thank you much for your help with this. It is really appreciated.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

I have installed w/strips much like these. The main thing I worry about is that the smooth surface that the glass will contact and seal against is still in great condition.

As for the area where the w/strip fits into the tracks...that is 'kinda' important but not really that important is small area are missing or tattered...as long as a vast majority of the w/strip still has that little edge so that it allows it to lock into the track.

Glue or some type of sealing compound is used in the track so depending on where it is located...it holds the weatherstrip but it also prevents water from getting under the w/strip and then dripping inside the car due not a lack of a water barrier of some type.

I generally follow what GM does when it comes to appalling a sealant and its location.

The tears and damage are more than likely due to someone not taking the time to get it out of the track. I know I can spend HOURS in getting some weatherstrips out of the track where they have been seriously glued in place from GM ...and the reason I do that is due to the importance of that particular w/strip.

DUB
Old 10-16-2017, 06:24 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

From what I can see the lips that would lock into the track seem to be in pretty good shape. But obviously there are tears in some spots. And there is a hole that a push pin goes through that is ripped through. So I'm still not sold on these used weatherstrips. I've got till the 20th to send them back, so I am checking into other options.

I sent an email to one GM online parts shop asking if the weatherstrips are still available from GM, but no reply yet.

And I stumbled upon an aftermarket weatherstrip supplier called "Metro Moulded Parts that apparently makes replacements for the ones I am looking for -> http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....549478&jsn=315

Reviews on the Metro parts seem to be spotty, so have you had an personal experience with them yourself? I'm really leaning on getting the original GM parts if they are still available, but hedging my bets some as well.

BTW, I did pull one of my window mouldings down from the shelf, but it is vacuum sealed in plastic and I just didn't want to take it out. But from what I can see there is really only one lip (at the top) of that moulding for the weather strip, and none of the lip that would mate there with the moulding is damaged from what I can see. But there is a bunch of old glue I would have to scrape off of the weatherstrip before using it. So yeah, getting *new* OEM might be less of a headache in the long run.

Thanks again for your advice.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Watch out for how dense the new w/strips are in comparison to the factory ones.

DUB
Old 10-16-2017, 07:46 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah, I guess having the material too stiff would increase wear and tear on the window motors. The motors just seem to jam the windows up against the weatherstripping to form a seal.

Anyway, I went and tried an order through a GM online parts dealer. I'll just have to wait and see if they are still available or not from GM.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

YES...not only with some added wear and tear on the window motors...what is what usually gets me is that due to the w/strip is denser than the factory w/strip. What happens ...or can happen. Is that due to that increased density...the window really struggles to go all the way up and thus can effect help well it can seal properly.

Hopefully you can get GM w/strips.

DUB
Old 10-17-2017, 08:14 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I still haven't heard anything from the GM dealer I ordered those weatherstrips online from. I sent them a message today asking if they would check on availability on them from GM, but still no response.

I've got till Friday to put these used ones in the mail back to the seller, so I hope they shake a leg on this order for the new ones. If I CAN'T get the new ones, then I guess I will have to tough it out with the used ones. If I don't hear back from them by Friday, then I will have to assume the worst, I guess.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:30 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rich Z
I still haven't heard anything from the GM dealer I ordered those weatherstrips online from. I sent them a message today asking if they would check on availability on them from GM, but still no response.

I've got till Friday to put these used ones in the mail back to the seller, so I hope they shake a leg on this order for the new ones. If I CAN'T get the new ones, then I guess I will have to tough it out with the used ones. If I don't hear back from them by Friday, then I will have to assume the worst, I guess.

******UPDATE******

I called my local dealer and he said that these w/strips are discontinued...but they are still available and teh warehouse that shows having them is the one in Michigan.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 10-18-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:47 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
******UPDATE******

I called my local dealer and he said that these w/strips are discontinued...but they are still available and teh warehouse that shows having them is the one in Michigan.

DUB
Well I ordered them from gmpartsale.com, which apparently is Wally McCarthy Cadillac in Roseville, MN. I went on their online chat system today but the girl manning it didn't seem all that competent. Said she could not reach those "resources" from her desk. But she said she would pass it on to the parts manager. That was early afternoon today, and still haven't heard anything back from anyone. Sheesh, if someone wants to run an internet business, then RUN the darn thing.

Anyway, thanks for checking for me, but I'm still not sure that means I am actually going to get them. The status of my order is simply "ON ORDER", which doesn't mean a darn thing to me.

Yeah, I could try to call them, but something tells me that wouldn't end any better than what I have been trying. The place doesn't seem to be very customer oriented from what I can see so far. Besides, I have learned from hard experience to try to keep EVERYTHING in writing no matter how trivial it may seem. You just never know when and what you may need in the way of proof when something goes into dispute mode.

So I guess I have to decide tomorrow whether to send back the used ones and just hope for the best, or keep them and tell the dealership to cancel the order. Heck, for that matter, my own weatherstrips might be fine. From what I can see they are. The only reason I am even trying to buy the darn things is because I am concerned that when I get the car painted and those mouldings replaced, that whoever does the work just might damage them trying to remove them. And THEN I would find out they are unavailable anywhere.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:28 PM
DUB
Race Director

Well I ordered them from gmpartsale.com, which apparently is Wally McCarthy Cadillac in Roseville, MN. I went on their online chat system today but the girl manning it didn't seem all that competent. Said she could not reach those "resources" from her desk. But she said she would pass it on to the parts manager. That was early afternoon today, and still haven't heard anything back from anyone. Sheesh, if someone wants to run an internet business, then RUN the darn thing.

Anyway, thanks for checking for me, but I'm still not sure that means I am actually going to get them. The status of my order is simply "ON ORDER", which doesn't mean a darn thing to me.

Yeah, I could try to call them, but something tells me that wouldn't end any better than what I have been trying. The place doesn't seem to be very customer oriented from what I can see so far. Besides, I have learned from hard experience to try to keep EVERYTHING in writing no matter how trivial it may seem. You just never know when and what you may need in the way of proof when something goes into dispute mode.

So I guess I have to decide tomorrow whether to send back the used ones and just hope for the best, or keep them and tell the dealership to cancel the order. Heck, for that matter, my own weatherstrips might be fine. From what I can see they are. The only reason I am even trying to buy the darn things is because I am concerned that when I get the car painted and those mouldings replaced, that whoever does the work just might damage them trying to remove them. And THEN I would find out they are unavailable anywhere.
If you go to GM dealership and give them those part numbers... they can order them for you and you will not have any problems...because I know if I can do it.... you should also. That is the benefit due to a GM dealer has access to some information that 'other' companies may not.

I agree that if a company is going to be doing business on the internet ( or even if they aren't) they need to have their act together...and if there is an issue...handle it quickly.

DUB
Old 10-19-2017, 05:53 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
If you go to GM dealership and give them those part numbers... they can order them for you and you will not have any problems...because I know if I can do it.... you should also. That is the benefit due to a GM dealer has access to some information that 'other' companies may not.

I agree that if a company is going to be doing business on the internet ( or even if they aren't) they need to have their act together...and if there is an issue...handle it quickly.

DUB
Well, the online entity I ordered from is actually a GM dealer as best I can tell. So they should have all the information at their fingertips. They were just seemingly reluctant to pass that information on to me.

That being said, I got an email notice that my weatherstrips have shipped today. Fortunate, because I had already decided and took the used ones to the post office to ship them back to the seller, which I did this morning.

So hopefully I made the best choice here.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:28 PM
Rich Z
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I got the *new* weatherstrips today. Yeah, DEFINITELY the way to go.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:33 AM
DUB
Race Director

I got the *new* weatherstrips today. Yeah, DEFINITELY the way to go.

Thanks again for the help.
Glad that you got the *new* w/strips are satisfied with them.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Weatherstrip replacement on C5 Z06?

Quick Reply: Weatherstrip replacement on C5 Z06?