Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

65 front clip repair, help

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 10:06 PM
crosskeystv
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Default 65 front clip repair, help

Replacing a front clip on a my 65/396, car has flares cut deep into the upper surround, have decided to get a front clip from Semersheims. I am ordering it without side vent panels, will use my originals. Also I am thinking of reusing my original inner feners, the left side has the battery door on the drivers side. If I reuse them after I carefully remove them from my original front end are they easy to relocate to the new surround or should I order the new clip with new inner fenders installed?

With NCRS judging after install is the new clip detectable from the original?
Old 11-06-2017, 05:16 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by crosskeystv
Replacing a front clip on a my 65/396, car has flares cut deep into the upper surround, have decided to get a front clip from Semersheims. I am ordering it without side vent panels, will use my originals. Also I am thinking of reusing my original inner feners, the left side has the battery door on the drivers side. If I reuse them after I carefully remove them from my original front end are they easy to relocate to the new surround or should I order the new clip with new inner fenders installed?

A judge can tell that the fiberglas is not just like GM's fiberglass. Those of us who know what to look for can spot it in a second that the panel is not an original. I can not comment on IF the judge is going to take points away.

I do not know how you are going to re-use your side vent panels. Reason is that IF the car has flares on it....they were cut in order to put the flares in place.

The inner skirt can be re-used and depending on how the new panels are made ..they should not give you too much grief. I can say that they are FUN to put in due to there position DOES control the hood gap and fitting. Keep that in mind.

Also..unless the company you are buying the front end from sells the correct type of bonding adhesive...that can also be picked up by those of us who know where to look.

It all depends on how much you are trying to make this look like nothing ever was done to it.

DUB
Old 11-06-2017, 07:20 PM
crosskeystv
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=DUB;1595914819]A judge can tell that the fiberglas is not just like GM's fiberglass. Those of us who know what to look for can spot it in a second that the panel is not an original. I can not comment on IF the judge is going to take points away.

I do not know how you are going to re-use your side vent panels. Reason is that IF the car has flares on it....they were cut in order to put the flares in place.

The inner skirt can be re-used and depending on how the new panels are made ..they should not give you too much grief. I can say that they are FUN to put in due to there position DOES control the hood gap and fitting. Keep that in mind.

Also..unless the company you are buying the front end from sells the correct type of bonding adhesive...that can also be picked up by those of us who know where to look.

It all depends on how much you are trying to make this look like nothing ever was done to it.

DUB[/QUOTE
Thank you for your response

I have nos side vent panels, I am sending to sermersheims an original front metal front support bar, I was thinking that the inner fenders are close to the original or I will install my originals?

Also I am using the black adhesive from corvette image, used it before on a 60 vette front clip install and liked it.

Can you point me to anything else I can do to make it look factory correct
Old 11-07-2017, 05:40 PM
DUB
Race Director

I can say that the original fiberglass was pressed in dies that were steel...so they can take a lot more pressure.

I doubt that any of the companies that make press-molded fiberglas do it that way due to the expense and the press needed. I know if one company that is doing it but they are not doing the front clip parts as of yet...they are doing the rear quarters in all colors of press molded fiberglas and the spare tire tub and the big block hoods for a 1967.

YES...a person can easily tell the difference. The 'crispness' of the part is readily noticed.

So using your facotry inner skirts is what I would do...but that is just me and if I am worried about judges.

Using all CORRECT fasteners and that means the solid aluminum rivets. Also using the correct wire staples for any rubberized shield material.

DUB
Old 11-08-2017, 12:48 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I don't think you are going to fool any judge that this is a OEM front end regardless of what you attempt to reuse.

Now having said that if I needed a front end and had new OEM side panels and good inner fenders I would reach out to Semersheims and ask if they would use your parts while jigging up a new front end.

I personally would rather install a complete jigged front end than piece one together.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:58 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mr D.
I would reach out to Semersheims and ask if they would use your parts while jigging up a new front end.
For the record...I do not have parts to sell you.

DUB
Old 11-08-2017, 08:41 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

I'm looking for parts?
Old 11-09-2017, 05:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

I'm looking for parts?
That is what you wrote in what I quoted in the last post I commented on.

You wrote it in POST#5 and I quoted it in POST#6

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 11-09-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:45 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
That is what you wrote in what I quoted in the last post I commented on.

You wrote it in POST#5 and I quoted it in POST#6

DUB
I was replying to post #1 in a very general nature. I will stay out of the conversation.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

I was replying to post #1 in a very general nature. I will stay out of the conversation.
No need to stay out of the conversation.

I guess it was my fault due to you posted after what I wrote...and did not direct it to the thread starter.....so I thought you were talking to me and not the thread starter.

The confusion in this is all my fault.

DUB
Old 01-15-2018, 06:59 AM
20round
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by crosskeystv

we just ordered a front PM clip from corvette images. i asked them if i sent them my NOS header bar, headlight plates and my oem inner fenders if they would install these parts in there front clip? they replied, NO PROBLEM! they discounted the front end accordingly. now shipping from mich to CI may be pricey on the inners but worth it. just my 2 cents on this...thanks troy
Old 01-15-2018, 05:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by 20round
we just ordered a front PM clip from corvette images. i asked them if i sent them my NOS header bar, headlight plates and my oem inner fenders if they would install these parts in there front clip? they replied, NO PROBLEM! they discounted the front end accordingly. now shipping from mich to CI may be pricey on the inners but worth it. just my 2 cents on this...thanks troy
What is good here is that a company is willing to do the small things that can make the owner of the Corvette happy.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 65 front clip repair, help

Quick Reply: 65 front clip repair, help