Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

alternatives for VPA, bondo... question for DUB

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 06:39 PM
666arkangel666
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default alternatives for VPA, bondo... question for DUB

Hi. I have been told in the forum that you are an expert in fiber repair. I wanted to ask you some questions I have ...
- Why use traditional glue to join the front clip or large pieces if new products are better? I mean in question durability, resistance, strength of bonding ... ect

- Here in Spain I only have at my disposal fiberglass putty, fiberglass cloth with resin, bicomponent glue for metals (very strong and very expensive too), car front glass silicone, sealants (which do not stick) ... I need to reassemble the front clip, and whole back clip, since I remove all the old glue with heat gun ... what do you advise me to use of these products?
Old 11-27-2017, 07:30 PM
666arkangel666
Intermediate

Default photo

photo
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2017, 01:58 AM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

What I have learned so far is that there is no good alternatives for VPA. Order it through eBay International!. The little extra cost will be worth it.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I need to know what year of Corvette you are working on.

As for the products you listed above...from reading what you provided...I see nothing about any of these products being able to be applied to any type of plastic substrate...such as fiberglass or SMC.

I can type for an hour if not more about IF the new age two part epoxy adhesive are actually better than an adhesive such as Vette Panel Adhesive.

There are pro's to using the new cartridge type epoxy adhesives ...and there are cons to using them also. These types of adhesives are solvent sensitive....which is why GM uses them UNDER all panels so they are not exposed to having to be painted on. And those areas that are visible and get painted on....they are in area that does not make a big difference and are generally in the engine compartment where they are painted black on some year models.

In regards to which is better in adhesion....keep in mind that PROPER PREP for adhesion is needed for both types of adhesives. So poor sanding, grinding and prep is being done to a panel...regardless if you have the world best 2 part epoxy adhesive...it will not adhere as designed and fail

I have tested the new adhesives along with what I use and I can tell you that if proper prep is followed...I know that the adhesive bond area holds up and the body panel fails around it...so I truly see no difference.

These new age 2 part epoxy adhesive make it easier to apply and use and provided the technician a specific amount of 'working time'. I can do the exact same thing in what I use because I am in control of how much hardener I apply to the VPA.

And the reason I need to know what year your car is. I know that when I work on the new Corvettes....where these 2 part epoxy adhesive are used all over the place. I use them exclusively ...simply because .... I have to due to they were used and the car was crash tested with them. Thus they create structure.

And for those of you who may read this andthink that using these types of epoxy adhesive is better than spot welding in frame rails and such like the factory did....especially on a car that had to pass crash testing procedures. You are highly mistaken. These epoxy adhesive are so strong on some aspects...that they can provide MORE strength in an area that was designed to 'break away' or crumble. AND IF you do not put it back the way it was made..including all correct locations of spot welds and the number of them....if the car gets hit...the passengers of the car may not favor as well as you might think due to transfer of energy.

So what you use and where you use it and how you use it CAN make a difference...so just because it may seem better...it actually may not.

DUB
Old 11-28-2017, 07:29 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

as DUB said,these 2-part epoxys hold airplanes together,they came from the aerospace industry,but on c3 corvettes you should use VPA
Old 11-29-2017, 06:11 PM
666arkangel666
Intermediate

hello and thank you very much for answering. everything becomes clearer from now on ... I also wanted to ask you why you use VPA in areas before using fiberglass mat, and why not use the blanket with epoxy resin instead of a first layer of VPA ... I've seen you mix VPA with fiberglass blanket ...
my corvette is from the year 1973 and 75 ... why not use in all epoxy resin repair?
Old 11-29-2017, 06:11 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
as DUB said,these 2-part epoxys hold airplanes together,they came from the aerospace industry,but on c3 corvettes you should use VPA
BUT VPA CAN NOT be used on the SMC bodied Corvettes for BONDING. VPA will not bond SMC...but it will fill. That is where the difference lies.

SO...I need know what year this Corvette is.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To alternatives for VPA, bondo... question for DUB

Quick Reply: alternatives for VPA, bondo... question for DUB