Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Which Body Filler

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 08:58 PM
MobileGreg
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which Body Filler

I have a 79 L82 and just got a new Flex Fiberglass front bumper cover to replace the old worn out urethane cover. It is a bit short on the sides and needs to be built up some and while I'm at it, I think I'm going to go ahead and fill the gap between the cover and body. I need to know what type of filler and any special prep to be done so it wont crack. I'm new to working on fiberglass cars.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I wish I could with 100% certainty advise you on what to use. Due to these 'flex' bumpers are generally really thin....and also flexible to a point...I have no clue on what to apply on it that would adhere and not possibly pop off due to the flexing of the bumper..

Now...if the bumpers were the rigid fiberglass bumpers. I do know what to use on it....BUT...like I wrote above ...I can not guarantee that what I use on the rigid fiberglass bumpers would work on the 'flex' bumpers ...because I do not install the flex bumpers.

DUB
Old 01-21-2018, 08:50 PM
MobileGreg
Advanced

Originally Posted by DUB
I wish I could with 100% certainty advise you on what to use. Due to these 'flex' bumpers are generally really thin....and also flexible to a point...I have no clue on what to apply on it that would adhere and not possibly pop off due to the flexing of the bumper..

Now...if the bumpers were the rigid fiberglass bumpers. I do know what to use on it....BUT...like I wrote above ...I can not guarantee that what I use on the rigid fiberglass bumpers would work on the 'flex' bumpers ...because I do not install the flex bumpers.

DUB
When I asked the manufacturer of the flex cover what type of filler to use to build it up to fit on the sides he said "any polyester base resin or body fillers will work." That being said, since I'm not familiar with working with fiberglass, what would be the go to filler. Again, I may try to fill the gap, but also with the concern of possible "flex" in the cover will just do the build-up where needed and leave the gap as original.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

When I do the rigid bumpers and get them fitted to the body. I use Vette Panel Adhesive.

DUB
The following 2 users liked this post by DUB:
csherman (01-29-2018), MobileGreg (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 11:41 PM
MobileGreg
Advanced

Thanks Dub. I wasn't sure about who made a product that was correct as a google search gave me varying results. Also, I believe I will keep the factory seam instead of filling it to prevent the chance of a crack developing since the cover and body are different types of fiberglass and may shrink and expand at different rates. A first fit of the cover is not too bad and should only have to do minor filling on the sides to fit to the body.

Get notified of new replies

To Which Body Filler

Quick Reply: Which Body Filler