Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Rocker damage

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 10:29 PM
Bikeman
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Rocker damage

Rocker crack.Best fix? BTW I didn’t do it. Puck was put on by me when I bought car new. Missed this on my inspection despite looking specifically for this very issue. This is an 18 z06 WGG paint.
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2018, 10:37 PM
Range_Rat
Safety Car

Received 230 Likes on 130 Posts

Can be easily fixed (glassed, sanded and painted) to like new by a body shop for maybe $400.

How do I know that? Because I did the same thing to my C6 when I was putting headers on it.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:07 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

YEP...This does not seem to be that bad at all.

It is no where near effecting anything structural. It is cosmetic....and I would bet my eyes that this area would never 'grow' and the damage area getting any bigger.

I know it is bothering you....and knowing that you did not ask and it really does not matter what I think or what I would do...if it were mine I would not mess with it...Simply due to in time...due to driving... this area can get a lot of road-bite and need to be touched up in the future....possibly. The reason I am responding like this and it has nothing to do with me wanting to have nice clean cars...but I work on these and I have seen what this area looks like in time if the car is driven and not stuck in the garage all the time.

IF I were to do something to it..I would simply touch this area up with touch-up paint and clear very carefully and not think twice about it. But then again I am really good with an artist brush.

I also understand that if you are getting someone else to pay for it. I get that...but it is so easy of a repair other than the paint and clear portion of it. It would not really cost that much. The cost of materials is what will get you.

DUB
Old 01-29-2018, 10:02 PM
Bikeman
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
YEP...This does not seem to be that bad at all.

It is no where near effecting anything structural. It is cosmetic....and I would bet my eyes that this area would never 'grow' and the damage area getting any bigger.

I know it is bothering you....and knowing that you did not ask and it really does not matter what I think or what I would do...if it were mine I would not mess with it...Simply due to in time...due to driving... this area can get a lot of road-bite and need to be touched up in the future....possibly. The reason I am responding like this and it has nothing to do with me wanting to have nice clean cars...but I work on these and I have seen what this area looks like in time if the car is driven and not stuck in the garage all the time.

IF I were to do something to it..I would simply touch this area up with touch-up paint and clear very carefully and not think twice about it. But then again I am really good with an artist brush.

I also understand that if you are getting someone else to pay for it. I get that...but it is so easy of a repair other than the paint and clear portion of it. It would not really cost that much. The cost of materials is what will get you.

DUB
Thanks , l know where you are coming from. This area gets beat up just driving. I know what my 2015 looked like after 3 years and didn’t even think twice about it. I think I may just glaze/putty the larger crack and hand paint,touch up myself.lm not to bad with a brush myself if I do say so!
Old 01-30-2018, 05:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikeman
Thanks , l know where you are coming from. This area gets beat up just driving. I know what my 2015 looked like after 3 years and didn’t even think twice about it. I think I may just glaze/putty the larger crack and hand paint,touch up myself.lm not to bad with a brush myself if I do say so!
Seems like a good plan. A easy simple fix is what I would do.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Rocker damage

Quick Reply: Rocker damage