bonding adhesive

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 11:44 AM
Swanney
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bonding adhesive

Looking for the right adhesive to use to attach these parts on my '78
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Swanney.
Attached Images      
Old 02-04-2018, 05:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

SEM 39747 is what I would use due to EVERCOAT has discontinued the SMC panel adhesive part number 994. The SEM product DOES require a special applicator gun to dispense it. So...it is possible that if you call SEM...they can get you in contact with the local area rep for SEM and that rep can loan you the gun so you do not have to go out and buy it or this one time use.

Also...if that does not seem to work out...I am sure there are body shops in your area and one of them have to have the gun you need and you can rent it for the weekend. I rent mine out to local guys who need it and I get about $200 in cash and when they bring me my gun back in good condition like I gave it to them....I give them ALL of their money back. I charge them this much so I KNOW they will bring me my gun back. TRUST goes both ways.

You can call 3M and ask them also. It is possible that their products use a regular caulking gun.

Also LORD FUSOR is another option. I knwo that they use to have special guns which I have...but I think that they have changed packaging.

DO NOT use EVERCOAT's Vette Panel Adhesive that you may have seen there a lot on the forum. Vette Panel Adhesive does NOT bond SMC to SMC...but can be used to fill SMC. Due to this begin a bonding area for structure...DO NOT use the VPA.

This should be left instated but....Make sure that you follow whatever special preparation steps ...in regards to how rough the surfaces must be to make sure that it will adheres as it was designed. Also whatever product to wipe it with if they advise that step or not. Generally blowing it off with good clean DRY air is what is required.

ALSO...make sure that whatever product you choose you verify the 'self-life' of it and make sure that your product date code is good. Make sure you do this. Do NOT assume anything when you go and buy products that may have been in a warehouse for a long time and are out of date.

DUB
Old 02-05-2018, 08:41 AM
Swanney
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you DUB. After searching these forums, I'd seen that 994 was discontinued. There are a couple Amazon sites that have it (or at least say they do), but I don't want to go that route and wanted to find a replacement product. My local paint shop carries Sem products, so I'll see what I can come up with.
Thanks for you time-----Swanney
Old 02-05-2018, 08:56 AM
csherman
Le Mans Master

Received 1,421 Likes on 734 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

I bought this gun and used it several times
It has the adapters to shoot different cartridges.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by csherman; 02-05-2018 at 08:57 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To bonding adhesive

Quick Reply: bonding adhesive