need more clearance both sides of hood

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 07:07 PM
cdl49
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default need more clearance both sides of hood

when we bought our 1968 17 yrs ago it came with an L88 hood. since then it has been replaced with a BB hood from a later chrome bumper car 70-72 and there is no clearance in a couple of spots. My question is which one should be ground, the side of the hood or inner fender?

Old 02-10-2018, 11:55 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

The glass on the fender sides of the hood is much thinner than the amount of glass on the edges of the hood. I would recommend you check the "straightness" of the hood lines along the fenders and fill any areas needed to make it laser straight. I would then sand the edges of the hood to achieve the gaps you desire keeping in mind that the coatings will close the gaps somewhat.
The following users liked this post:
cdl49 (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 07:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I agree with Dave.

But posting photo of the backside of the hood...at the edge so we can see it would be a good idea.

And if the photo you post...the rest of the hood looks like that on both sides...please comment accordingly about that...unless you want to post numerous photos.

DUB
cdl49 (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 07:53 PM
cdl49
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
I agree with Dave.

But posting photo of the backside of the hood...at the edge so we can see it would be a good idea.

And if the photo you post...the rest of the hood looks like that on both sides...please comment accordingly about that...unless you want to post numerous photos.

DUB
This pic is the underside of the hood. There is about 1/4 in from outside of hood to the metal support. Am I thinking correctly on filling in that area from the lip of the fiberglass to the metal support (.193") with VPA? Then grind to fit for clearance?
Underside of hood is black and have not sanded either side to see whats there.

Thanks Dean
Old 02-13-2018, 05:48 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Dean,

You are exactly correct. I would take the hood and prep that channel either by sandblasting it or carefully grinding it out and getting it clean.

Apply VPA and get it sanded to your liking. The sand back the hood to get it to fit.

I have ONE MAJOR CONCERN:

When the hood is installed....is the gap as tight as your initial photos showed ALL the way around the hood????

Are your hood hinges really good and have NO free-play it the pivot rivet???

In the second photo in the thread above. When the hood is up...it looks like the right side edge of the hood is contacting the edge of hood is hitting/rubbing on the edge of the top hood surround. Is the hood hitting the edge of the top hood surround on the other side side????? It 'kinda looks like it is not hitting..but it can possibly be the angle.

I guess you also checked to make sure that the inner structure of the hood was not previously broken and repaired.....and thus not having the hood width correct.

DUB
cdl49 (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 11:09 PM
cdl49
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
Dean,

You are exactly correct. I would take the hood and prep that channel either by sandblasting it or carefully grinding it out and getting it clean.

Apply VPA and get it sanded to your liking. The sand back the hood to get it to fit.

I have ONE MAJOR CONCERN:

When the hood is installed....is the gap as tight as your initial photos showed ALL the way around the hood????

Are your hood hinges really good and have NO free-play it the pivot rivet???

In the second photo in the thread above. When the hood is up...it looks like the right side edge of the hood is contacting the edge of hood is hitting/rubbing on the edge of the top hood surround. Is the hood hitting the edge of the top hood surround on the other side side????? It 'kinda looks like it is not hitting..but it can possibly be the angle.

I guess you also checked to make sure that the inner structure of the hood was not previously broken and repaired.....and thus not having the hood width correct.

DUB
I did as Dave suggested and checked hood and fender for straightness. the hood seems to be wider where it contacts the fender on both sides which is about 12 to 16 inches back from the hinges. The hood is not hitting the edge of the top hood surround on the other side side. And there is clearance at the back end of the hood. Thanks, Dean

Get notified of new replies

To need more clearance both sides of hood

Quick Reply: need more clearance both sides of hood