Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Quick and dirty fender repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 10:32 PM
KCblues
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Quick and dirty fender repair

I autocross and track a C5 Z06 and have accumulated some damage / cracks on the lower passenger front fender as shown in the picture. I've removed the fender and would like to do a quick and dirty repair (maybe back side only) to hold it together and prevent the cracks from spreading. No reason to paint it when it's going back into battle in a month. Is there a specific material/epoxy/resin I can use on the backside to hold it together for a couple more seasons?

Old 02-12-2018, 03:43 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

After it is cleaned and sanded, epoxy resin with cloth would probably work
Old 02-12-2018, 05:51 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I believe with your car being a Z06 that the fender is made out of carbon fiber.

I have repaired these many times and it weights less than a full can of soda...or there abouts.

You will need to use WEST SYSTEMS epoxy resin and hardener I use the 105 resin and the 206 hardener.

It is up to you if you want to put in carbon fiber or if you want to laminate in the mat.

DUB
Old 02-12-2018, 10:56 PM
KCblues
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

It’s not carbon fiber, I believe there were some C6 models with CF body panels. To my knowledge the only C5 Z06 bodywork was the hoods on the Le Mans Special edition.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:34 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by KCblues
It’s not carbon fiber, I believe there were some C6 models with CF body panels. To my knowledge the only C5 Z06 bodywork was the hoods on the Le Mans Special edition.

Thanks for the clarification...it is so hard for me sometimes to all of keep the changes GM has done correct. Sorry guys for the previous comment that is incorrect.

Regardless of that...with it being SMC...you should have no problem in putting something behind the damage and having it work....obviously when it has been properly prepped to allow the resin to take hold.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Quick and dirty fender repair

Quick Reply: Quick and dirty fender repair