Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Need help deciding how much paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 10:02 PM
n100
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help deciding how much paint

I know this has probably been asked a million times before, but I can't find a concrete answer and I'm stressing out! I'm going to be painting my 69 coupe next weekend with deltron bc/cc. I will not be spraying the jambs this round as I sprayed them last week. The primer is light gray. I am using a Finex Fx3000 1.4 hvlp gun. I will be renting a paint booth. The color is a deep midnight blue.

My question is would 2 unreduced quarts be enough. Meaning 1 gallon of sprayable paint? At about $160 a quart i would love to use $160 on something else other than another quart I might not need

Any thoughts?
Old 02-28-2018, 07:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

BUY more paint than you need. And have them mix it ALL in a gallon can. Whatever you do not use will more than likely be needed for future touch ups. If you don't have more..and you do need it later...you will be regretting that you did not buy it now.

OR...buy some of this paint and shoot a test panel so you can see how quick the color covers and is the true color.

There is NO WAY in knowing how much paint to tell you to buy due to I have not way in knowing how strong the pigments in this color are in regards to covering. Some colors are really weak and it takes numerous coats to get it to true color.

I know in the paint system I have I would buy 2 quarts and a PINT. And I would still have paint left over and that is doing the entire car...jambs and all. BUT the paint I use is really strong in pigments so it covers fast....and I have my paint gun set property so I am not wasting paint but still getting on the car what I need.

DUB
Old 03-02-2018, 07:50 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default paint

I just finished painting my 69 coupe also. I would agree with more paint. I actually was stressing over getting stuck right in the middle of things. I used PPG K36 primer and Deltron sealer with Factory Pack Black. This was my first attempt at painting a car and I am very pleased at the results. Paint products are expensive so I feel your pain.

RVZIO

Last edited by SB64; 03-02-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:12 AM
porchdog
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

every job i do i order 2 gals. mix both gals together the pour into qrt cans. this ensures all will match . there is nothing worse than getting a car painted then have a repair to do and realize you only have a pint left. which will likely not match anyway.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:25 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by porchdog
every job i do i order 2 gals. mix both gals together the pour into qrt cans. this ensures all will match . there is nothing worse than getting a car painted then have a repair to do and realize you only have a pint left. which will likely not match anyway.
I am guessing that you are shooting mainly single stage??? Which if you are I can understand why you buy 2 gallons.

Becasue as you know that 2 gallon of basecoat will make about 4 gallons in most cases and that is more paint than anyone would ever need.

Just asking.

DUB
Old 03-06-2018, 03:35 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

RVZIO what is the inside diameter of your DIY paint booth?

Get notified of new replies

To Need help deciding how much paint

Quick Reply: Need help deciding how much paint