Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

C5 rocker panel chip, fastest repair?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 12:41 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,232 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Default C5 rocker panel chip, fastest repair?

I have a dime-sized rocker panel "scuff" from a tie-down strap buckle that was rubbing on it. It is unnoticeable unless the car is on a lift, but it bugs me. It isn't a hole or a crack, but a scuff caused by friction. It is deep enough that it is past the primer and a little into the SMC material.

Rather than taking my car to a body shop to have it professionally repaired and painted, what auto parts store fix can I use myself? Is there a cheap epoxy I can fill the scuff with? Something I can sand down and use touch-up paint on?
Old 03-22-2018, 06:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Not knowing the color....I cannot offer you any advice.

Maybe someone else will come in and tell you how they repair an issue like this. All I can do is tell you the right way of doing it. Which I know you do not want to do.

DUB
Old 03-22-2018, 09:59 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,232 Likes on 1,589 Posts

The color matters? It is Electron blue. I just want to patch this...
Attached Images  
Old 03-23-2018, 06:35 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

THANKS for the photo...it was perfect!

YES...the color is HUGE factor.

If your car where black.... you could go down and use a 'Sharpie' marker and then dab some clear fingernail polish on it for a quick DIY repair.

No matter what you do,,,,trying to get the area where the color needs to go to match what you have is going to be a task all in itself....and that also depends on how well you get the area level again and not make the area any larger.

Keep in mind I do this type of repair work for a living and attempting to do a paint brush touch up would NOT be something I would do.

And IF I had to fix this I would prep the panel and get out my paint guns and mix the pant and tint it to make sure it matches and then shoot it....which is something I feel you are not going to do.

Using an aerosol paint is kinda pointless also...but...once again..I have a really sharp eye for color and if I am painting anything. I want it to match.

So other than you shooting test panels with aerosol paint and find the color that makes you happy and you can live or finding a blue fingernail polish that is also to your liking for color match and try that.....which is KEY here. It all depends on what you can live with......I have nothing else to suggest if you are wanting to do this yourself.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 03-23-2018 at 06:36 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 rocker panel chip, fastest repair?

Quick Reply: C5 rocker panel chip, fastest repair?