Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

SN tag removal from W/S pillar.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 08:27 PM
Swanney
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SN tag removal from W/S pillar.

I'm getting ready to blast my windshield frame and hinge pillars and rocker panels.
My questions are:
1. Can or should I remove ID tag on windshield frame (I'd really like to blast behind it if I can) And if so, where can I find new star head rivets?
2. I will have some pitting on the W/S frame, should I fill it? and with what filler?(I have wire wheeled the entire frame really well thus far and don't foresee any rust through anywhere),hoping for no surprises in the booth though.
3. What primer should I spray it all with that will be good for the windshield guy.
Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks Y'all -----------Swanney.

Last edited by Swanney; 03-27-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:06 PM
Swanney
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Swanney
I'm getting ready to blast my windshield frame and hinge pillars and rocker panels.
My questions are:
1. Can or should I remove ID tag on windshield frame (I'd really like to blast behind it if I can) And if so, where can I find new star head rivets?
2. I will have some pitting on the W/S frame, should I fill it? and with what filler?(I have wire wheeled the entire frame really well thus far and don't foresee any rust through anywhere),hoping for no surprises in the booth though.
3. What primer should I spray it all with that will be good for the windshield guy.
Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks Y'all -----------Swanney.
I forgot to mention that it's a 78 soon to be white with red interior.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:06 PM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

I would not remove the VIN. You are setting yourself up for problems down the road. And it's illegal.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:06 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

It all depends on the state you live In.

In North Carolina.....if you remove the VIN tag...it is FELONY....and if you put it back on...that is a FELONY also....but I believe In Georgia...it is okay to do as long as the DMV knows what is going on and they do not freak out about it....or at least that is what a CF member wrote who sent his Corvette to Georgia for repairs that effected the VIN tag.

I myself...obviously living and working in North Carolina..I work around the VIN tag and keep it intact.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To SN tag removal from W/S pillar.

Quick Reply: SN tag removal from W/S pillar.