Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

C6 Targa top skin removal from frame.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 11:24 PM
Socalconstruction1
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Default C6 Targa top skin removal from frame.

Has anyone every peeled a targa top skin from the frame? I have two tops, one lexon and one fiberglass/plastic and I want to pull the frame off and just bolt the top back on to save weight. I’m having a full cage installed so no need for any of the metal framing.

Both my tops are in mint condition and ideally I would use the lexon top because it’s lighter but I don’t want to try and peel it off and break it and lose the 700/1000$ I could potentially get from selling it.

If anyone has ever done this and has any tips I would really appreciate any advice.

this is for a C6.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:38 AM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

The skins would be thin and if just bolting them onto the windshield frame and halo, the flexing of the body may crack these bolted on skins through the bolt holes.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:29 AM
Socalconstruction1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dave Tracy
The skins would be thin and if just bolting them onto the windshield frame and halo, the flexing of the body may crack these bolted on skins through the bolt holes.

Yes I thought about that, but the roll cage would be welded to both the halo and the window fram sonthere wouldn’t be any flex.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:31 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If I am reading what you wrote correctly....you are concerned about weight. And you want to take apart your tops and in some manner...bolt the outer skin to the body. Am I correct?

I know if I had a race car like what you are preparing....I would pull a splash mold off of the top and make my own outer skin in carbon fiber and attach as I felt would work.

I know that heat will work to separate the fiberglass painted top outer skin. As for the acrylic lexan top...I know they use a different type of adhesive and I have never had any reason to separate one of those. You can possibly contact Melrose T-tops and ask them due to they restore tops like yours.

http://www.melrosecorvette.com/

Originally Posted by Socalconstruction1

Yes I thought about that, but the roll cage would be welded to both the halo and the window fram sonthere wouldn’t be any flex.
I would be concerned about that type of installation of a roll cage that you just described. The roll cage should be independent and NOT use any part of the cars upper structure as a apart of the 'cage'. Obviously the roll cage will be connected to the actual frame. This is so if you ahve a roll-over...the cage will do its job (hopefully) and not rely on any of GM's upper halo or windshield frame structure to provide strength...but that I guess all depends on how good of a cage you want.

DUB
Old 04-11-2018, 05:53 PM
Socalconstruction1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB
If I am reading what you wrote correctly....you are concerned about weight. And you want to take apart your tops and in some manner...bolt the outer skin to the body. Am I correct?

I know if I had a race car like what you are preparing....I would pull a splash mold off of the top and make my own outer skin in carbon fiber and attach as I felt would work.

I know that heat will work to separate the fiberglass painted top outer skin. As for the acrylic lexan top...I know they use a different type of adhesive and I have never had any reason to separate one of those. You can possibly contact Melrose T-tops and ask them due to they restore tops like yours.

http://www.melrosecorvette.com/

I would be concerned about that type of installation of a roll cage that you just described. The roll cage should be independent and NOT use any part of the cars upper structure as a apart of the 'cage'. Obviously the roll cage will be connected to the actual frame. This is so if you ahve a roll-over...the cage will do its job (hopefully) and not rely on any of GM's upper halo or windshield frame structure to provide strength...but that I guess all depends on how good of a cage you want.

DUB
Thanks for the insite, and yes that’s exactly what I am trying to do. I’m not trying to do any carbon fabrication, I don’t do any work on the car myself, I’m having a shop do everything. I just felt the tops and the metal grams are very heavy, and are on the top of the car whitch is the worst place for weight. And peeling the skin off a top seemed like a very simple soulituon tht would probably save me 30-40 lbs off the highest part of my car.

Maybe ill try a heat gun on the fiberglas top and sell the lexon

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Targa top skin removal from frame.

Quick Reply: C6 Targa top skin removal from frame.