Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

My C5 was butchered

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 08:47 PM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts
Default My C5 was butchered

I've owned my C5 for a little over a year. One of the previous owners had installed mud flaps. Every time I look at the car, all I can see are the existing holes. I tried to fill them with caulk and touch up to make them less noticeable. My question is, what is the best way to repair these? I have debated looking for used panels and replace them, but I'm looking at $1000+ for 4 new fenders and a rear bumper. Can the holes be filled? Can it be spot sprayed with good results rather than a full respray?

Thanks in advance .

<br/>front passenger

front dirver

drivers rear

passenger rear
Old 04-25-2018, 08:31 AM
Rodnok1
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Anything can be fixed, zero need for new fenders. A good paint guy could match that easily. Take to a quality body shop and see what the estimate is.
I was expecting a Ricer Wing, big fart can cut outs and a custom hood cut out with this title...
Old 04-25-2018, 08:33 AM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rodnok1
Anything can be fixed, zero need for new fenders. A good paint guy could match that easily. Take to a quality body shop and see what the estimate is.
I was expecting a Ricer Wing, big fart can cut outs and a custom hood cut out with this title...

Sorry for the dramatic title. All four corners with holes is causing me anxiety. I'll be looking for a decent shop by me to have them take a look.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I agree that there is no need o buy new parts...unless you are one of those type of people who cannot live with a part being repaired and filled in.

There repairs are not that hard to do but it will require two different type of repair materials due to the panels are made out of different substrates.

As for the color. IF it is just being touched up...that is not going to be as easy as it may seem.

The panels should be blended...and that will normally require the entire panel being scuffed and prepped so the clear can be shot over the entire panel so that there is NO edge to where the clear stops within the panel somewhere. Applying the clear in only the spot where the repair was made...will...in time...show up. And this is due to where these holes are they are VERY CLOSE to the rolled edge of the panel in some areas...and that rolled edge is where a painter could break or stop the paint and clear and stop it there. BUT what that does is cause for the high possibility that IF the color is off ...even just a little bit...it will stand out like crazy to the trained eye.

And IF that is the case. That is when I would suggest you going to a graphic company that wraps vehicles and look at the yellow they have and just apply a strip of the wrap over this area and end it where you feel it looks good. I have mentioned this to many customers who stop by for me to repair stuff like that and other types of similar scuff damage. And many have used a black wrap and even the carbon fiber looking wrap and when it was installed it really looked good and did not obviously stand out. And oddly enough...some of them have replaced the wrap when other damage had occurred to that edge and they did not need to even stop by and see me for an estimate. They just stop by and tell me about it...and I give them the

DUB
Old 04-25-2018, 05:49 PM
WideVette
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Another idea to save on paint cost, repair as stated above and paint each lip (no blend), just past the repair equally on all repaired areas. Back tape and/or sand/buff to blend the paint edge. After fully cured, cover repaired area with a clear bra material to protect and hide the paint line and any slight color difference.

Last edited by WideVette; 04-25-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:32 PM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB
I agree that there is no need o buy new parts...unless you are one of those type of people who cannot live with a part being repaired and filled in.

There repairs are not that hard to do but it will require two different type of repair materials due to the panels are made out of different substrates.

As for the color. IF it is just being touched up...that is not going to be as easy as it may seem.

The panels should be blended...and that will normally require the entire panel being scuffed and prepped so the clear can be shot over the entire panel so that there is NO edge to where the clear stops within the panel somewhere. Applying the clear in only the spot where the repair was made...will...in time...show up. And this is due to where these holes are they are VERY CLOSE to the rolled edge of the panel in some areas...and that rolled edge is where a painter could break or stop the paint and clear and stop it there. BUT what that does is cause for the high possibility that IF the color is off ...even just a little bit...it will stand out like crazy to the trained eye.

And IF that is the case. That is when I would suggest you going to a graphic company that wraps vehicles and look at the yellow they have and just apply a strip of the wrap over this area and end it where you feel it looks good. I have mentioned this to many customers who stop by for me to repair stuff like that and other types of similar scuff damage. And many have used a black wrap and even the carbon fiber looking wrap and when it was installed it really looked good and did not obviously stand out. And oddly enough...some of them have replaced the wrap when other damage had occurred to that edge and they did not need to even stop by and see me for an estimate. They just stop by and tell me about it...and I give them the

DUB
Thank you Dub. I didn't want to incur the cost of new panels, so I will talk to a shop with your recommendations. I have considered a wrap.

Rob
Old 04-25-2018, 07:33 PM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WideVette
Another idea to save on paint cost, repair as stated above and paint each lip (no blend), just past the repair equally on all repaired areas. Back tape and/or sand/buff to blend the paint edge. After fully cured, cover repaired area with a clear bra material to protect and hide the paint line and any slight color difference.
This sounds like the least expensive route.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:58 PM
WideVette
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Robrote
This sounds like the least expensive route.
You could likely get decent results with a spray can, also clear for best match. There are aerosol cans that produce great results, more pricey and short "pot life". Here is a link for clear and basic colors, there are sources that color match OEM paint this way as well. It is possible to get near professional results and durability on full panels such as a hood, etc. It incorporates a catalyst and spray gun pattern.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-s-...tte-clear.html

Last edited by WideVette; 04-25-2018 at 10:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To My C5 was butchered

Quick Reply: My C5 was butchered