Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Accidentally sanded through the clear coat down to paint. Oops

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 04:52 PM
NeatMike
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accidentally sanded through the clear coat down to paint. Oops

As the title says, I was trying to fix a scratch on my driver side door and sanded with 3500 grit sandpaper paper. I sanded for about a minute with water and checked and my paint had a big faded red splotch on it where I was sanding. I'm assuming I sanded right through the clear coat.

My question is what is the best way to fix this? I bought duplicolor torch red spray paint and clear coat and was going to attempt to just spray it and then compound it with my dual action polisher. Is there any reason that is stupid?
Old 05-13-2018, 05:25 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Try polishing/buffing it first. Maybe it's just dull from the sanding.
Old 05-13-2018, 05:52 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

is the water from wet sanding red? if its clear you are still in the clear coat.

if its red and no primer is coming through i would clear coat first. and then buff
Old 05-13-2018, 06:02 PM
NeatMike
4th Gear

I believe it was clear. I'll try and get a picture if it because that will explain it better than I can.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:21 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,234 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved over to Paint/Body Section for some guidance.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:24 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

IF you put water on it and the spot completely disappears...then you can prep the door a and shoot a GOOD clear on it.

IF the spot still shows up...depending if you can live with the spot being there and just applying clear on it...then the door needs to be prepped and red paint blended where the spot is and then it is cleared.

I am a professional and you can use what you want. BUT I know I would not use any paint that is not of a high quality automotive type. So all types of aerosol 1K clear coat are not of the question. Using an aerosol red paint...that is also not something I would do.

I know the outside door handle would come off along with the mirror and upper window sealing strip. The entire exterior surface of the door needs to be prepped and clearcoated. Doing a 'spot' repair...and then also 'spotting in' the clear will more than likely not turn out the results that you may expect. This panel is so small. Most painters would clear it and not try to spot in the clear. It can actually take MORE time to do it that way.

DUB
The following users liked this post:
SG Lou (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 12:12 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Originally Posted by NeatMike
As the title says, I was trying to fix a scratch on my driver side door and sanded with 3500 grit sandpaper paper. I sanded for about a minute with water and checked and my paint had a big faded red splotch on it where I was sanding. I'm assuming I sanded right through the clear coat.

My question is what is the best way to fix this? I bought duplicolor torch red spray paint and clear coat and was going to attempt to just spray it and then compound it with my dual action polisher. Is there any reason that is stupid?
For touch ups, I have a spray can of the paint. Spray some into the cap and using a cotton swab touch up the scratches, nicks etc.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:52 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by The Rabbi
For touch ups, I have a spray can of the paint. Spray some into the cap and using a cotton swab touch up the scratches, nicks etc.
Although your method of touching up chips and nicks is done by many people in that exact same manner...in his scenario...this advice/suggestion does not apply. Unless the person wants it to look like a blob of paint when completed.

When it comes to a scratch..the method of application should change from a cotton swab to something much more precise...or get it professionally refinished if an excellent repair is desired.

DUB
Old 05-14-2018, 12:57 PM
NeatMike
4th Gear

Originally Posted by DUB
Although your method of touching up chips and nicks is done by many people in that exact same manner...in his scenario...this advice/suggestion does not apply. Unless the person wants it to look like a blob of paint when completed.

When it comes to a scratch..the method of application should change from a cotton swab to something much more precise...or get it professionally refinished if an excellent repair is desired.

DUB
Any idea what this would cost? It really sucks to have that spot but at the same time there are other things I'd rather put $500 into then repairing a spot on my door.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:39 PM
DUB
Race Director

I have no idea where you live...nor what the rate of doing paint and body work is in your area. You will need to take it to a shop.

The crash guide states that painting the outside of your door take 2.2hours.

Then add for clearcoat which would be about 0.4 times the paint time. So..0.4 X 2.2 which is about 0.8 of an hour. So roughly 3.0 hours in JUST paint and prep time.

Then remove door panel and parts...or they might mask them off. I always remove these parts.

Then they might need to check the color and tint it to make the color be a 'blendable' match. That can take how ever long it takes.

Then you have to figure in the cost of the materials. Which can be something like $30 pre paint hour. SO if you have 3.0 hours of paint time..the cost of materials can be $90.00

Then if they charge for any sanding and buffing after it has been painted.

Then the costs of bagging of the rest of the car with a large plastic bag so no overspray gets on it.

Then the hazardous waste removal fee.

DUB
Old 06-15-2018, 11:20 PM
snomuncher
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Repainting Door

Originally Posted by DUB
I have no idea where you live...nor what the rate of doing paint and body work is in your area. You will need to take it to a shop.

The crash guide states that painting the outside of your door take 2.2hours.

Then add for clearcoat which would be about 0.4 times the paint time. So..0.4 X 2.2 which is about 0.8 of an hour. So roughly 3.0 hours in JUST paint and prep time.

Then remove door panel and parts...or they might mask them off. I always remove these parts.

Then they might need to check the color and tint it to make the color be a 'blendable' match. That can take how ever long it takes.

Then you have to figure in the cost of the materials. Which can be something like $30 pre paint hour. SO if you have 3.0 hours of paint time..the cost of materials can be $90.00

Then if they charge for any sanding and buffing after it has been painted.

Then the costs of bagging of the rest of the car with a large plastic bag so no overspray gets on it.

Then the hazardous waste removal fee.

DUB
For reference, I recently obtained an estimate for basically a similar scope of work to repaint a door with one local area of paint damage, including the labor for removing and reinstalling the interior trim, door handle and mirror. At the shop's labor rate of $62/hour the total was $675.

Get notified of new replies

To Accidentally sanded through the clear coat down to paint. Oops

Quick Reply: Accidentally sanded through the clear coat down to paint. Oops