Wills 71 Project. Paint Stripped - Page 4 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Wills 71 Project. Paint Stripped

Old 11-04-2018, 07:38 PM
DUB
CF Senior Member

Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,906 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCarBum View Post
You are doing an awesome job on this project.
I just hope DUB is still on the forum when I get to the body work and panel alignment.
Depending on when you get to it....I should be.

Yes.... Will is doing a very, very nice job on this.

DUB
The Following User Says Thank You to DUB For This Useful Post:
Willforce71 (11-04-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 02:33 PM
Willforce71
CF Senior Member

Default L88 Hood Alingment

Well after messing around for quite a while trying to fit the L88 hood it became apparent that( for me at least) I needed to separate the hood frame from the skin and realign everything. I didn't want to have to slot the hinges and or be at the limit of my adjustment window right out of the gate. So here we go.

After separating the frame I ground away all the old adhesive and cleaned up the edges. I then aligned the frame in the car to as close to the center of the hing holes as I could and latched it in place. I had to use a piece of angle to prop up the nose area so it wouldn't droop down too far and then not make contact with the skin.
Now I placed the skin on the frame and centered it in the window and evening out all the gaps. I will still need to perfect the gaps a bit after but, its a lot better now than before.
I decided to use super glue and glue pieces of paint stir sticks around the outside edges of the skin as guides to align the height of the skit to the hood surround. This worked really well and is easy to just pop them off and sand off the residue. Better than filling holes and the like.
After all the fitting and aligning it was time to bond the skin in place. I first spread the compound into the bonding areas using a good bit of pressure using a putty knife. Then I applied a nice heavy bead of adhesive around the frame to fill the inevitable gaps.
So now I went and enlisted some help from my Wife to place the skin on the frame. I then aligned everything again and placed anything I could find with so weight around the edges to hold things down and in place.

Over all I am happy with things now and am at a place where I can perfect the gaps on the hood and move on.

The Following User Says Thank You to Willforce71 For This Useful Post:
Priya (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 03:03 PM
Priya
CF Senior Member

Great documentation, thanks for that!
Old 11-08-2018, 04:20 PM
Willforce71
CF Senior Member

Thanks for the complement. I really get a lot out of researching how to do this stuff myself so, I felt it would be paying it forward to show my process. I am not a pro and all of this is my first time so please take that into consideration before you try to repeat any of this on your project but, hopefully it gives you another perspective.

Last edited by Willforce71; 11-08-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:17 PM
DUB
CF Senior Member

Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,906 Posts

Very well done and that is very, very close to how I do it...when I need to correct a hood.....and the customer is willing to pay for it.

DUB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DUB For This Useful Post:
sagebrush rebel (11-10-2018), Willforce71 (11-08-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wills 71 Project. Paint Stripped

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: