Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Air pressure for paint gun

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 06:43 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Default Air pressure for paint gun

my paint gun manul state a recommended air pressure setting at the gun of 23psi. The primer and paint i use have their own psi recommendation (25-30 for primer and 10-13psi for base coat). Which pressure should one follow? the gun mnfg or the paint mnfg?
Old 06-13-2018, 08:52 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

It ALL depends on the gun you have and HOW the instruction read.

A lot of it depends if the instruction state that the pressure is AT THE CAP or the air pressure coming in at the gun itself.

Try not to get so caught up in this even though I DO KNOW it is very important to have the air pressure be at a level that will properly atomize the product and allow you to apply it successfully. . The reason I state this is because you can have variables that can allow you to adjust the gun to perform in a manner that works BEST for what you are doing and applying.

Think of this air pressure being similar to your accelerator pedal in your car. You 'normally' drive the car at 35 mph...but when the road conditions allow it you can go faster...and sometimes you can not drive at 35 mph due to the road conditions so you have to adjust how you press down on your accelerator pedal. So...the same holds true when spraying different products and they are telling you what the air pressure is RECOMMENDED to be set at.

This is when you test how you have it set by spraying it on something and see how you product reacts. Because the viscosity of the product you shoot can also be put into you hands and you can sometimes add a little bit more reducer/thinner or leave some out....depending on what you are doing. And this viscosity thickness change can effect the air pressure setting you have the gun set at. And then figure in the temperature grade of reducer/thinner and how fast or slow it flashes off.

Then factor in your painting style. Some people have fast travel speed across the panel shoot to fast and are too far away and create dry spry while others are too close to the panel and are too slow and cause for runs and heavy 'zebra' stripes. And depending on how the fan set-up is and their overlap...many things to consider that are also tied in with the air pressure. So...it depends.

DUB

Last edited by DUB; 06-13-2018 at 08:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jeffs82c3 (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 10:53 AM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

I understand what you're saying.
I have a devilbliss finish line 4, i struction state the aire requirement is to set the air pressure to 23psi trigger pulled at inlet which yields 10 psi at the cap.
I shoot eastwood primer and their paints for this project, and thier tech shert calls for 25-30 psi (primers, ss and clears) while their base coat state 8-12 psi.
So which initial settings should i go with? the gun mnfg or the product?
I did primer on my doors with a 1.8 at 23psi and it came out great, did the car with a 1.5 at 30 and i think it didnt lay as well... not a huge concern since i blocked it, but maybe that's my answer there: use the gun mnfg settings.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:02 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If you understand what I am saying like you wrote above........then you know that you need to shoot test panel due to the variables and find what works.

Like I wrote...try not to get all caught up in a a specific number for air pressure due to I have no clue on how you are reducing the products...and what grade of reducer you are using for the air temps you are shooting at.

I can not answer this question due to you are not giving me any specific information. So test it and find what works.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Air pressure for paint gun

Quick Reply: Air pressure for paint gun